MILKWEED?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Has anyone had experience growing milkweed [specifically, "swamp milkweed"] in a bog? From what I've been able to read, it's a wetlands plant, and attracts all kinds of butterflies, moths, & hummingbirds. Plus, it's the "monarch butterfly" plant! Only downsides I could find is that it's toxic if ingested [unless you cook it first], and will also attract aphids (yuck!). Just wondering if it would be worth it to try, but so far all I've seen for sale are seeds [one co. that ships live plants, doesn't ship to LA].

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I could remember breaking the stems and the milk would seep out when i was a kid
It was growing like a weed in a Field by my house

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
TM, first make sure you know what to look for in appearance. Then watch lowes and home-depot but look for butterfly bush or plant. There are more than one kind and more than one color, sometimes there are one kind of plant sent in with this name sometimes others. You have to know what to look for since they don't seem to really know what to call them correctly. I've seen them for sale here many times, as far as will they do ok in a bog, I can't answer that one, I would be kind of concerned adding anything that may be toxic to the pond or bog, BUT You could always add it where the overflow is, that would far lessen the chances that it would contaminate the pond. I have a few growing on the property here that bloomed last year and they are growing along the bottom where it stays moist a good portion of the year.

Reaction score
I cant tell you which variety of milk weed this is, as I dont remember LOL... Did fine in this little pot, then planted in just gravel in the bog area, and then repotted and brought inside... It has been mowed to the ground by a goat... regrew, and then every leaf was chowed by catipillars... now it is about 42" tall in the basement pond and still doing well... Definately not hardy to our region here, so may be good sized come spring since we brought it in...

DSCN3983_zps02b9e151.jpg

Reaction score
Larkin,,,, LOVE butterfly bush, and have a large plant (6'x12') about 25' from the little milk weed plant... The monarch catipillars never bother my butterfly bushes, and the butterflies themselves covered this little milk weed for a good deal of the season, verses the BF bush had some hanging around... it is a toss up which is "better"... I brought ours in, in the hopes that next year it would attract a lot more butterflies:)

Reaction score
There are a whole lot of different species of milkweed with different growing conditions - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asclepias

CW's picture is not swamp milkweed - it is prabably http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asclepias_curassavica

Swamp milkweed is asclepias incarnata - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asclepias_incarnata

The difference is kinda important to native plant folks and butterfly'ist in florida - http://fnpsblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/native-milkweed-seed-needed-to-help.html?m=1 and http://www.floridanativenurseries.org/info/why-plant-native/save-our-monarchs-plant-native-milkweed/

You can get seed from prairie moon nursery - http://www.prairiemoon.com/seeds/wildflowers-forbs/asclepias-incarnata-rose-milkweed

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Cape, the one you posted a pic of is like the ones I have in the back yard, I have two, I think that one is a bred variety The pink in the center is not like that in a wild plant. The marsh Milkweed (Swamp milkweed is asclepias incarnate) is like the ones in the wet bottom here but the ones here are a pinkish cream color. Sticky suckers when you get that milk on you too! LOL
TM, as for that list, I have seen several of those plants in ponds through years of exposure and not seen a issue at all. The Taro and Tomato are two right off the bat. My bass has had the same Tomato in his pond for almost a year and a half and last year we even picked a tomato off of it. It in the water fall in his preform pond and the fish have been in there for the same length of time. Taro I keep and I keep multiple kinds, You've seen pics of my fish and ponds. ??? What do you think? Caladium are poisonous if ingested, to pond fish, I've never seen a problem and know many ponds that have them all around it. Just saying the list is one of those is it 100% true internet posts?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cape, the one you posted a pic of is like the ones I have in the back yard, I have two, I think that one is a bred variety The pink in the center is not like that in a wild plant. The marsh Milkweed (Swamp milkweed is asclepias incarnate) is like the ones in the wet bottom here but the ones here are a pinkish cream color. Sticky suckers when you get that milk on you too! LOL
TM, as for that list, I have seen several of those plants in ponds through years of exposure and not seen a issue at all. The Taro and Tomato are two right off the bat. My bass has had the same Tomato in his pond for almost a year and a half and last year we even picked a tomato off of it. It in the water fall in his preform pond and the fish have been in there for the same length of time. Taro I keep and I keep multiple kinds, You've seen pics of my fish and ponds. ??? What do you think? Caladium are poisonous if ingested, to pond fish, I've never seen a problem and know many ponds that have them all around it. Just saying the list is one of those is it 100% true internet posts?

Well, shortly after I posted, my decision was to exclude the milkweed. But since I've been looking around, have noticed the diversity in nature. For the most part, I think one would have to deliberately feed something to an animal for it to matter, and in nature, animals seem to instinctively know what to avoid. Nature designed these plants to be in the water, so....

Two years ago I freaked out when "planting" the turtle habitats. Was being so careful to ONLY include those plants listed as "turtle-safe." I accidentally planted a few garden plants that were listed as "toxic." I'm a member on the KINGSNAKE forums, so posted there. Basically was told to "chill." If the turts where in the wild, they'd routinely confront "toxic" plants, but nature gives them the instincts to avoid them. Of course, when we confine critters (including fish in a pond), we're altering their environment, thus making ourselves totally responsible for their safety.

Anyway, I like the as. incarnate, so think I will order a couple of bare root plants to try. Will just be extra careful with their parts & sap.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ordered a couple of bare root plants that will be delivered around April. Should have the bog ready by then (we're slow to make progress...).

Was also remembering that many of you plant Hostas that do well in the bog. Have never seen a Hosta around here that even remotely says it tolerates sun, so googled sun-tolerant varieties. Ordered a couple of plants that sound promising, so we'll see how they work out. Also for a spring delivery -- gonna be a looooong wait.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have hostas out in full sun, they actually do fine. There is some sun burning when we don't get rain for weeks or months, like the last few summers.

I could dig up some and ship to you if you want. See how they do, variegated leaves. Once they start growing again that is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My guess, TM, is that you will forget what you have ordered, and when the plants come, it will be Christmas in April for you!!!
I had no idea milkweed had such pretty flowers! I've only noticed them when they had the milkweed seed pod. In fact, I had a milkweed on the south side of my house when I moved here, and pulled it. Now I wish I hadn't! I also had a weed that attracted the swallowtail caterpillars couple of years ago, and have let that plant grow around my trees on edge of property so help the butterflies have food again. Live and learn!

Ask a Question