Minimizing plumbing/head pressure reduction/brainstorming

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have an idea that may break the vacuum and look good at the same time.
Comment on what you all think....
I'm thinking of tapping a small tubing off of the PVC pipe entering my bog. It will be tapped where you would drill the hole that would break the vacuum.
This small tubing will feed a spitter.
If the power goes out, everything will stop, including the spitter. The spitter will now act as the vacuum breaker.
Do you all think this will work?
Yes but you'll want to keep an eye on it just like you would a spray bar building up algae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ok, I tapped off of the bog pvc to feed a spitter.
I mean I literally tapped into it!
I really didn't feel like cutting in a tee with a reducer, etc.

I had a 5/16" brass hose barb with 1/4" threads. I drilled a hole in the PVC bog pipe and threaded the brass fitting right into it. I didn't even use a tap. I just put some teflon tape on it and thread it right in. It made it's own threads.
It seems to be pretty tight. We'll see if it holds. I think it will. Worse that can happen is that it leaks on top of the bog gravel.

I turned off the pump to test for any siphoning and I could hear the air gurgling through the spitter. So, it seems in fact that it works like an anti-siphon
20220603_201832.jpg
20220603_202023.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok, I tapped off of the bog pvc to feed a spitter.
I mean I literally tapped into it!
I really didn't feel like cutting in a tee with a reducer, etc.

I had a 5/16" brass hose barb with 1/4" threads. I drilled a hole in the PVC bog pipe and threaded the brass fitting right into it. I didn't even use a tap. I just put some teflon tape on it and thread it right in. It made it's own threads.
It seems to be pretty tight. We'll see if it holds. I think it will. Worse that can happen is that it leaks on top of the bog gravel.

I turned off the pump to test for any siphoning and I could hear the air gurgling through the spitter. So, it seems in fact that it works like an anti-siphon
View attachment 151355View attachment 151357

Well that was easy! Even if the fitting falls out, the siphon break will still happen since you now have a hole there.

Ask a Question