Minimizing plumbing/head pressure reduction/brainstorming

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no its just which end has to be fed , if its an open pipe snorkel and centipede it really doesn't matter if the water can only escape through the rock then its mute

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
exactly, the only plus or minus is where the fine sediment gets deposited

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the rule is to feed the centipede on the opposite end of the snorkel . push sediment toward snorkel and use snorkel for yearly clean out . I have never seen a video of the opposite or a discussion.
I agree that it seems like the best option is to feed from the opposite end of the snorkel but I did see this one where he fed into his homemade centipede at the snorkel end. My guess is it doesn't matter where the feed comes in as long ad you can pump out your solids and like you all have said to keep it sealed.

My quest now is to find an option to kill the siphon effect if the power goes out. we get some wicked wind here and I'm sure it will happen in the middle of the night. The ball valve seems great if you're doing maintenance but I need a fail safe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My guess is it doesn't matter where the feed comes in as long ad you can pump out your solids and like you all have said to keep it sealed.
Agree.

The ball valve seems great if you're doing maintenance but I need a fail safe.
If we're talking about a ball valve off of the main plumbing inside the bog, then the ball valve is the fail safe. You position it right around water level and leave it cracked open at all times and when power fails, that is what breaks the siphon. You could also just drill a 1/4" hole in your pipe in the same location.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If we're talking about a ball valve off of the main plumbing inside the bog, then the ball valve is the fail safe. You position it right around water level and leave it cracked open at all times and when power fails, that is what breaks the siphon. You could also just drill a 1/4" hole in your pipe in the same location.
so a 1/4 hole in the feed tube right at the water line not the snorkel, right?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
so a 1/4 hole in the feed tube right at the water line not the snorkel, right?
Yes the hole in the feed tube needs to be able to suck air to break the siphon, if it is underwater it will siphon down until it is exposed to air then stop. Putting a hole in the snorkel for this won’t do anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Coming back to this as I finally got some of my plumbing items today. I was planning on 2 inch flex PVC connected to 2 inch rigid PVC going into the bog. I want to make sure I understand correctly. the hole to prevent the siphon should be positioned as seen below in the flow line ? Or should I replace the the upper 90 with a capped T with the hole in it? I was wondering what keeps the water from squirting out of it? Probably time to start a build thread....

1654036855141.png

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Nothing keeps the water from squirting out, it needs to be contained within the bog perimeter. Don’t drill it on the top of the 90, in your pic drill on the part of the 90 facing towards the snorkel. ideally drill it just at the water line or above it so when running water will squirt out the hole abit, but break siphon immediately when the pump is off.

Water won’t squirt out the hole as much as you think it will.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Start with a small hole—1/8" or so and elarge as necessary You might have to play with the size of hole to find what works to quickly break siphon. One of my 2" lines that terminates at the very bottom of the pond has a 5/8" hole in it and it still flows backward for about 10 minutes before siphon is broken. Different hose configurations will cause the siphon effect to be stronger or weaker.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
for the price and their reliability i don't think you ca beat a vacuum breaker

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Haven’t seen it mentioned but you can also use a check valve. Aquascape had a nice kit that’s a little pricey but it has unions on both sides for ease of disassembly. I actually have both a check valve and a drilled hole to prevent siphoning. The hole is great because it diverts water to the surface before the bog so it increases dwell time for the water going down to the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have an idea that may break the vacuum and look good at the same time.
Comment on what you all think....
I'm thinking of tapping a small tubing off of the PVC pipe entering my bog. It will be tapped where you would drill the hole that would break the vacuum.
This small tubing will feed a spitter.
If the power goes out, everything will stop, including the spitter. The spitter will now act as the vacuum breaker.
Do you all think this will work?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have an idea that may break the vacuum and look good at the same time.
Comment on what you all think....
I'm thinking of tapping a small tubing off of the PVC pipe entering my bog. It will be tapped where you would drill the hole that would break the vacuum.
This small tubing will feed a spitter.
If the power goes out, everything will stop, including the spitter. The spitter will now act as the vacuum breaker.
Do you all think this will work?

I think it will work as long as the spitter tubing is large enough to overcome the power of the siphon. I have a similar setup where I tee off of the bog line and into a flower pot fountain.

Ask a Question