Minimum liner overlap

Reaction score
Hi

What would be the minimum amount of liner overlap (the bit you hide under rocks / slabs etc) I would get away with safely? I have started to work on redoing some sections of my pond , lifting the old stone slabs up .... i dont think I have enough to deepen pond :-(

Thanks
Martin

Reaction score
I planned on my pond have 1' but I was a little off in one direction so at both of the far ends it's more like 8" and it worries me, but it's been a month and so far it's holding great. On the house side I have about 2' which runs under my waterfall, and on the yard side it's exactly 12". That seems to be the perfect amount, not too much, easily covered with some edging and more than enough to hold fast.

Reaction score
settling of liner as water fills and if you need to make adjustments with backfilling so water won't flow out...you might be able to get away with a minimum of 12 inches but i wouldn't go any less than that, unless you attaching liner to something to hold it secure and not placing stone or large rocks on it to hold in place

Reaction score
Are you saying 12" minimum in the case where the pond was to overfill and water would seep back under the liner ?

I planned to put in a 1" pipe for drainage at some point between liner and rocks so if it does overfill it has somewhere to go at least ..

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
It kind of depends on what type of soil you have too, if you have soft black dirt that will settle a lot, you are going to want more. Me, I have some very sandy soil, so sandy thet you can pump 1500 gallons of water onto my lawn and only have a tiny wet spot, it just soaks up the water. Its sand, its packed tight, its not going anywhere if water seeps under my liner.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did mine 3 feet and that is the leak I am trying to make a temporary fix until fall comes .Not sure why it is leaching up between the 2 liners or what is causing it but it is going to wait until fall .

Reaction score
ok thanks for the replies . I guess an option would be to make my pond slightly narrower and this will give me more liner to play with . One of the sides is sloped so I might straighten it up and work with what extra liner that gives me ...

Reaction score
You know after your comment about soil types I realized my liner isn't going to settle. The bottom floor of my pond is hard packed clay with golf ball sized river rock in it. it's only slightly easier to dig through than granite. I put sand on top of that, but only a couple of inches, so that's pretty much it, my pond is what it is, so while 8" isnt much, it should be more than enough to keep that end of the pond up. Yeah, I'm think I'm in good shape down there.

Reaction score
Are you saying 12" minimum in the case where the pond was to overfill and water would seep back under the liner ?

I planned to put in a 1" pipe for drainage at some point between liner and rocks so if it does overfill it has somewhere to go at least ..

that and if you're not level and had to build up some of your sides.. you may prove us wrong in that you can even get away with less liner but a lot of times we change our minds about something and then wish we had more instead of less

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my soil is that red clay but my liner still sunk down 6 inches and I really packed the daylights out of it with a hand tamper .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had plenty of liner so no big deal and after raising the sides again on my pond I still have about 20 inches of liner on each side .Better the liner is bigger than not having enough .I was marking the liner and it would sometimes sink down over 2 inches in 24 hours and should have known that anyway because the soil had not settled yet from when the basement was dug out .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi

What would be the minimum amount of liner overlap (the bit you hide under rocks / slabs etc) I would get away with safely? I have started to work on redoing some sections of my pond , lifting the old stone slabs up .... i dont think I have enough to deepen pond :-(

Thanks
Martin

I have around 2-5 inches of liner under rocks around the edge of the pond. Now if your are talking of over lap for a flow from the stream into the pond etc, the over lap is a lot more. The reason some of mine ended that short, was my bog and pond are large, had a few almost too short places for the liner.
(one part of the stream I have a one inch overlap............an almost goof lol)

Our soil is rock with some dirt, so I didn't have settlement issues to worry about and also did not use epdm, the liner I used does not stretch. So that little of over lap under rocks etc was safe for me.

Ask a Question