Minimum container when placing fish

Reaction score
I'd like to try and do my annual clean out myself this year.
I have one big Koi about 14" long, 2 Koi about 10" long and about a dozen gold fish. I'll reduce the goldfish population this spring.

I have a 2,500 gal. pond and use a UV light with my Oase filter.

I would like to avoid taking the Koi out of the pond and would welcome any ideas for alternatives to power washing and emptying 80% of the water.

If I cannot avoid power washing and removing the fish what is the minimum size container I can use to place the fish in while cleaning the pond? How about a new plastic trash barrel?

Thanks

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most people do not do a power wash clean out of their pond. You are removing all the good bacteria and basically starting over with a "new" pond. A lot of stress for your fish too.

Is it to remove bottom junk that you are doing this? a vacuum works great for that. Water changes to freshen the water, filtration etc.

What is the issue you are trying to clean?

Reaction score
No specific issue. Just an annual clean out.

If no power washing is required then I'll just change out 1/2 to 3/4 of the water, and vacuum the bottom for what if any debris is there.

Thanks...just saved me the $200 plus the "guy" charges.

Reaction score
The only reason I can see for doing more than vacuuming is if you have rocks in the bottom of your pond. These can trap toxic debris. As Addy said, you are damaging your ecosystem with power washing.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pond new1 said:
No specific issue. Just an annual clean out.

If no power washing is required then I'll just change out 1/2 to 3/4 of the water, and vacuum the bottom for what if any debris is there.

Thanks...just saved me the $200 plus the "guy" charges.

Well glad to help! always nice to not spend money that does not need to be spent.

Reaction score
Power washers have lots of negatives. People clean off their siding with them not considering the water is getting under everything and penetrating any electrical connections that normally would never get anything more than condensation. Not to mention the physical damage of the water jet. Heck, they can remove loose paint. I'll keep my dirty, but still functional house thank you very much.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have one, my previous hubby wore holes into our sandstone decking washing it. I told him to hold it further back lol They are very powerful.

Ask a Question