Misc ramblings...

Reaction score
wispfox said:
Huh. I grew up in New Hampshire, so I was used to seeing both English and French on many things. I don't recall if it was on packaging or not, but I was quite surprised to move further south and _not_ have anything in french. Not that I speak or read french, mind you. :)
Near the Canadian border, eh? I dont know if they still do it or not, but years ago,in Quebec, at 1st grade, they started teaching the English speaking children French

Reaction score
wispfox said:
And in other news... I totally got myself filthy dragging out the lilies and splitting them up.

One pot was _crazy_ heavy and full of root mass. It actually had fewer splits when I was done than the next smallest, but it had so many roots! I suspect it was a pink one, just because I had more pink than white.

The next wasn't awful, and it was rather amusing to see the line of tubers all around the outside of the pot. I kept one of those, to see what color it ends up being.

The last pot I suspect was really recantly added; possibly right before we bought the house a couple of years ago. There weren't a whole lot of lilies in there yet, so I just spread them out a bit more and put them back. Now I just need to figure out where flowers are coming from once they start flowering.

Tomorrow, to attack the pickerel weed. ;)
Busy busy ... wish I was closer, and I'd come steal any of the extra pickerel you had.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
capewind said:
Near the Canadian border, eh? I dont know if they still do it or not, but years ago,in Quebec, at 1st grade, they started teaching the English speaking children French
Near enough, apparently. Lakes Region area. We got a _lot_ of canadian quarters. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
capewind said:
Busy busy ... wish I was closer, and I'd come steal any of the extra pickerel you had.
You know...

I could send you some bulbs in the mail. :) Not all of them, but certainly a few!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
capewind said:
Yup, French is now THE language in PQ. Signs on buildings, etc., can be in both official languages, but the "FRENCH" part has to be appreciably larger than the "english", or the language police will take the offender to court, where you can not win if you speak English!!
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
know what you mean by school I was a straight A student and skipped 2 grades and graduated high school at 15 I then started working (they never checked my age )and then started Rutgers Prep and also helped my parents with there small organic farm .I also moved into my first studio apartment at 16 .I think by the time I turned 18 I was burned out .I have learned in my life to simplify and try to make my brain think slower .Thoughts and things I think of come to fast and I sometimes can't express them right .I meant my hubby and then it all became clearer .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
547598_536355693082132_765771587_n.jpg

Reaction score
I need some input for the next pond ... hubby had planned one thing, and I had made an uneducated suggestion, which says says will work just fine ... and is willing to do it for me, but I am not 100% that I want it THAT way LOL ... He told me this morning to order the stock tanks, which he needs any ways (one is for a client), but MY REALITY is, I need to make up my mind LOL. So need input for what may be right or wrong with my idea LOL.

Here's a pic of the existing pond ... had to take it from inside to show the correct angle, so the picture is grainy (taken through a screen) ...

1. The rocks to the left, at the plantings is complete ... the rocks to the right needs to be redone/2 more courses added as we get more rocks ...

2. From the top of the complete rocks on the left, to what will be the top of the next pond is almost a 6' grade change. Hard to see that in the picture.

3. The area between the plantings, and where you see the irrigation line coming out of the ground will be the waterfall/short river area, plus or minus.

All the above, are solid plans, set in stone.

My suggestion had been to set a 150 gallon skippy filter right there, at the top of the waterfall. MY thoughts really are not about filtration, but more so a bucket of water to place some plants ... The top of the rocks hiding the skippy filter, would be set at the same level as the rocks at the plantings (and again, the rocks on the other side need to come up) ... The ponds will look connected, but wont be. He says it doesnt matter to him where he puts the skippy filter ... If all goes well with the new install he is doing for the client, I'll have their old (and trimmed) 10x15 liner for the waterfall/river area ...

The new pond will be about 4000-4500 gallons ... using a 20x25 45 mil liner ... a small area on the far side will be a built in bog (more a thin strip to plant some taller plants) to break up the barren yard, and he may put another skippy over there, just for another waterfall (later project) ,,, The primary purpose of this pond is as a water garden for his lilies, but he knows I am really bad about filling everything he makes with fish LOL ... For the short term (the next couple of years or so) this pond will also be home to some babies I bought to grow out, while I reduce them down to a handful of keepers. Starting with roughly 100, and I like a lot of them, so it's going to take a while LOL.

Any do or dont do would be very appreciate. Doing this on a tight budget. NOTHING budgeted in for the rocks, so it will be a work in progress for quite awhile, but need to get my babies outside, not to mention he now has wayyyy too many lilies to leave them all where they are.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh hope all our Texas people are ok .I saw about the blast there at a plant .

Reaction score
sissy said:
gosh hope all our Texas people are ok .I saw about the blast there at a plant .
I saw that ... feel so sick about it ... awful enough that it happend, but first responders hurt too ...

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Not too sure about skippy filters as I don't have one, but the pond looks good and I am sure you will find more rocks and figure it out. All I can tell you is that no matter how you finish the pond project, in a few years you will end up with something different, as we all change things and move things around as it is just the way of life for us ponders ...... :)

Reaction score
I just dont want to make more work for him. I think it would look nice to put the skippy at the top of the waterfall with plants in it, but also feeling guilty.

He has to make some other filter for the main pond (he calls it a solids seperator) with huge pvc to protect his pump from all my water hyacinths that I put in. The filter really doesnt need much in the way of cleaning, but MY roots plug up his intake, and get all through the filter ...

Ask a Question