Mole/Gopher Problem

Reaction score
I was removing some carpeting I was going to use for underlayment for my liner and I noticed a hole in one corner of the pond. The hole is 3" in diameter and 2' deep tunnel. Is there something I can put down this hole to deter or even possibly kill the varmints that are in there. Also if I use some kind of poison will it seep through the rubber liner and into the pond possibly hurting or killing any fish I put in there? Maybe I can get something from Lowes or Home Depot......Has anybody else ever had this problem, any suggestions please.

Reaction score
i have moles around my pond too. They've never gone through the liner, but I can see their tunnels or I sink into one now and again. I'm assuming they just must be attracted to the water. I don't do anything for 'em...just live in peace with them, but I can understand why folks would be annoyed by 'em. I would not use any poisons around a pond, as during a rain you could easily get seepage into your pond and it can kill the fish.

THey do sell all kinds of gizmos to annoy the moles and make 'em scram tho if you look on the internet--things that trap them and things that kill them.

Reaction score
Thanks koikeepr, I really dont want to kill anything as much as just to scare it away or keep at bay. Like u said I'm sure the internet has all kinds of gadgets that claim to do this or that. As long as they dont decide to go any further than the liner we're alright. Maybe they have something that stinks really bad to keep them away that I can throw in the hole and back fill the rest with. We'll see, thanks for the response.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I use a mole trap in the front yard to keep them out of the lawn.
In the back around the pond and plants its hard to catch them
they say ....Hair or juicy fruit gum runs them off , you just put it in one of the runs

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Many, many years ago when I lived California I tried starting a vegie garden in that hard adoby soil, (which is a totally different story in itself). The first couple of weeks everything started to come up just fine. I checked on my garden one morning and a mole had gone down every row and ate all of the roots of the new sprouts. So I gave up.

The next year someone told me that if I were to plant garlic two inches apart all the way around my vegie garden the moles would not cross that line. I did so with some doubt, and planted the garlic as instructed. I was amazed, it worked. The moles went all the way around the vegie garden, but did not cross that perimeter of garlic.

Happy ponding,

Rich

P.S. I couldn't give that garlic away I had so much. It's probably still growing there in that cement like adoby soil.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We have a garden guy on the radio and tv here in Washington by the name of Ciscoe Morris that says the mole blaster recipe here on this link is the best to get rid of moles: http://www.ciscoe.com/garden/topics/moles.html I have not tried it as I just use a hose and shove it down the hole and when the mole comes swimming up I grab him by the scruff of the neck and put him in a bucket and take him for a ride on my bike over to the woods far away and let him go :highfive:

MrMole22004.jpg

Reaction score
Oldmarine, I guess I have some garlic grocery shopping to do....I wasnt sure if something like this would work but you just confirmed it. Like I said earlier the hole is significantly 3" dia by 2' deep. Time to start shoving alot of garlic down that hole and see what happens. Hopefully they wont dig another tunnel to avoid the garlic. Thanks

Reaction score
DrCase, juicy fruit gum huh. I have enough human hair from my girlfriend. Its constanly all over the floor looks like she is losing her hair big time. I guess maybe the scent of human in the hole runs them away. Garlic and hair it is, what a combo.

Reaction score
j.w.....I checked out the recipe of mint stem slurry plus it will make my pond smell minty lol. I appreciate the article it's very informative and helpful. Now I got to cook some mint soup, Thanks

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I agree. Even here in the south Tacoma area, the Tacoma Police frown on the people residing here discharging a hand guns. Back before I had my six foot vynal fence installed, I was tempted to site outside in the dark with my trusty 357 mag Blackhawk, and wait for the meroding recoons to come strolling into my yard for a midnight snack. My conscience got the best of me, besides the neighbors are too close.

Happy ponding,

Rich :lol::yikesu:

Reaction score
Ok Juicy fruit does not work. Neither does a radio, the beeping thing from Lowe's, a garden hose, etc.... The only thing that kills these pests is poison. the "gummy worms" kind are the best because worms are what these guys naturally eat. The reason they dig around the liner is because the ground is earier to move. Under Rail Road Ties are their favorite place to dig their tunnels. This is because the grouns stays moist under the ties and makes for easier digging. They are territorial and do not use eachothers runs, but once you get rid of one, another will take over their run. Do I sound like an expert??? Can't tell you how many hours of research I have done just to find another @&*$?@@!ing hole the next day. UGGGHHH

Reaction score
Ok Juicy fruit does not work! Neither does a radio stuffed down the hole, the beeping thing from Lowe's, Hair, nope, smoke bombs, funny... The only thing that kills these pests are poison and my cats. The "gummy worms" poisons are the best because worms are what these guys naturally eat. The reason they dig around the liner is because the ground is easier to move. Under Rail Road Ties are their favorite place to dig their tunnels. (I had in a run in my yard over 100 feet) This is because the ground stays moist under the ties and makes for easier digging. (Wish I had known this BEFORE I built my ponds' retaining wall with RR Ties. They are territorial and will not use eachothers runs, but once you get rid of one, another will take over their run. My yard backs up to a 10 acre marion berry farm so there is no way to "flush them out with a hose, their runs are just too long. Do I sound like an expert??? Can't tell you how much $ and how many hours of research I have done just to find another @&*$?@@!ing hole the next day. UGGGHHH
PS J. W. You're killin' me! Releasing them in the woods...which probably backs up to a marion berry field... ; )

Ask a Question