Moved into a house with a pond with a few tears in the liner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We moved into a house last year with a pond in the garden but it has a few tears in the liner. I've seen repair kits online but am not sure what type of liner this is to use the right one.

I know the best way would be to replace the liner, but I've got a load of other projects on inside the house so I'm just looking for a quick repair job for the moment so I can fill it with water for the summer if possible then look at doing something more permanent maybe next spring once the house is sorted.

Can anyone tell what sort of liner this is and if it's repairable?

TIA

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_3848.jpg
    IMG_3848.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_3849.jpg
    IMG_3849.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 265

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is it brittle and not flexable at all .PVC liners get brittle and there is no saving them .No patch kit will work .Epdm can be patched .If you touch it and it feels hard then it may be PVC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's actually quite flexible, does that mean it's probably EPDM? Anything else it could be?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Looking at the way the edges of the tears have curled I would say that this is either a vinyl liner or a quite old EPDM. These are also quite large tears. I fear that patching will not be successful in your case. Replace the liner.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
epdm usually does not lift up like that in a tear .does it feel thick or thin .It could be pvc but a thicker mil .I now it comes all the way up to 30 mil ,I have not seen it thicker than that .But it could also be the brand that makes it look different .You could try cleaning it good and try a epdm repair and see what happens .It may give you some time extra to get to replacing it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
By looking at your pic the tears are up near the coping and could have been caused by a dog or something similar .That means all that coping rock that is cemented in will have to be taken apart and what a job you have ahead of you

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would replace it, looks like it is sun beat up and brittle.

You could get some small pieces of liner and apply them over the tears to make it through until you can replace. Replacing will be a job.

get some liner tape, or aquarium sealer, goop it up good, lay the liner over the tears on the goop then seal the edges of that piece of liner down well with tape or more goop.

Ask a Question