Moved into a house with a pond with a few tears in the liner

Discussion in 'Newbies to Garden Ponds' started by dodgie, May 5, 2015.

1. dodgie

dodgie

Hi,

We moved into a house last year with a pond in the garden but it has a few tears in the liner. I've seen repair kits online but am not sure what type of liner this is to use the right one.

I know the best way would be to replace the liner, but I've got a load of other projects on inside the house so I'm just looking for a quick repair job for the moment so I can fill it with water for the summer if possible then look at doing something more permanent maybe next spring once the house is sorted.

Can anyone tell what sort of liner this is and if it's repairable?

TIA

Rich

Attached Files:

dodgie, May 5, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. dodgie

sissy sissy

Is it brittle and not flexable at all .PVC liners get brittle and there is no saving them .No patch kit will work .Epdm can be patched .If you touch it and it feels hard then it may be PVC

sissy, May 5, 2015
    1. Advertisements

3. dodgie

dodgie

It's actually quite flexible, does that mean it's probably EPDM? Anything else it could be?

dodgie, May 5, 2015
  4. dodgie

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Looking at the way the edges of the tears have curled I would say that this is either a vinyl liner or a quite old EPDM. These are also quite large tears. I fear that patching will not be successful in your case. Replace the liner.

Meyer Jordan, May 5, 2015
  5. dodgie

sissy sissy

epdm usually does not lift up like that in a tear .does it feel thick or thin .It could be pvc but a thicker mil .I now it comes all the way up to 30 mil ,I have not seen it thicker than that .But it could also be the brand that makes it look different .You could try cleaning it good and try a epdm repair and see what happens .It may give you some time extra to get to replacing it

sissy, May 5, 2015
  6. dodgie

sissy sissy

By looking at your pic the tears are up near the coping and could have been caused by a dog or something similar .That means all that coping rock that is cemented in will have to be taken apart and what a job you have ahead of you

sissy, May 5, 2015
  7. dodgie

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

I would replace it, looks like it is sun beat up and brittle.

You could get some small pieces of liner and apply them over the tears to make it through until you can replace. Replacing will be a job.

get some liner tape, or aquarium sealer, goop it up good, lay the liner over the tears on the goop then seal the edges of that piece of liner down well with tape or more goop.

addy1, May 6, 2015
  8. dodgie

sissy sissy

this may help if decide to try a repair

sissy, May 6, 2015
    addy1 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question