Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I wish they would make it mandatory to label these so called "starter bacteria" with the dangers they may pose to some aquatic life as well as being required to acknowledge the astonishingly low rate of real effectiveness of the product which is basically nothing at all except losing money.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I wish they would make it mandatory to label these so called "starter bacteria" with the dangers they may pose to some aquatic life

Though not an insecticide and related to this thread, I am curious as to how are "starter bacteria" dangerous?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The U.S. EPA has moved to cancel a most dangerous insecticide--Flubendiamide
https://www.epa.gov/ingredients-use...ide-notice-intent-cancel-and-other-supporting

This product is extremely toxic to aquatic life. It is sold under the trade names: Belt, Fame, Fenos, and Synapse.

Now if only the EPA would go after a few others.

Meyer would you happen to know if these products are sold in the UK or not ?
If so under what trade names would they appear under here Please ?
I ask because often or not differing countries have different rules when it comes to banning this or that .

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Meyer would you happen to know if these products are sold in the UK or not ?
If so under what trade names would they appear under here Please ?
I ask because often or not differing countries have different rules when it comes to banning this or that .

Dave
I do not know, Dave. Perhaps a Google search of the UK for 'Flubendiamide, trade names' will provide an answer.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Though not an insecticide and related to this thread, I am curious as to how are "starter bacteria" dangerous?
Dangerous because they can create the illusion to the beginner that just pouring a bottle in is a good to go situation even though they may do nothing at all or very little and putting fish in an uncycled pond can be deadly or at the least stupid. I should have added the the "algae treatment" in the original post but I group them together as many of the products are blended as both starter and treating a established pond that has too much algae. I think if you have too much algae that a bottle of whatever is not going to fix the real problem which is either filtration, pond size to fish, sunlight/shade etc etc. I am sure nobody will agree as usual but obviously that has never stopped me in the past.

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Dangerous because they can create the illusion to the beginner that just pouring a bottle in is a good to go situation even though they may do nothing at all or very little and putting fish in an uncycled pond can be deadly or at the least stupid. I should have added the the "algae treatment" in the original post but I group them together as many of the products are blended as both starter and treating a established pond that has too much algae. I think if you have too much algae that a bottle of whatever is not going to fix the real problem which is either filtration, pond size to fish, sunlight/shade etc etc. I am sure nobody will agree as usual but obviously that has never stopped me in the past.

In truth, 'starter bacteria' or inoculants are very effective. They are used extensively in aquaculture applications and have been shown to shorten the cycle period by several days. Inoculants should not be confused with Benficial Bacteria products. These contain predominantly heterotrophic bacteria. The inoculants are purely autotrophs (Nitrosomonas, Nitrobacter, Nitrospira etc.).

The only way to truly tell if a pond has cycled is not by the number of days but by testing the water.

Ask a Question