Muddy pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I've had a patio pond made of Lowe's zinc in a shady spot under an eave in my LA garden (about 120 - 150 gallons). For the last 4 years there have been no problems keeping the water clear with koi and shubunkin and standard goldfish. In the previous 8 months, the water has started getting mucky even though I add water clarifier and 48 hours later adding sludge remover. But still the water is getting mucky and a fish dies every couple of weeks or so. I don't understand. I've had successful outdoor ponds both in the sun and shade for 20 years without problems. There are no plants in the pond lately. So I can't figure out what could me building up so much muck and slowly killing certain fish.

Can anyone give me advice as to what the problem might be?

My name is Chris and I'm at: (e-mail address removed)

HELP!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
1. galvanized metal bins are Not for fish, long term slowly poisons fish.

2. water clarifier is a band aid it's an end result , you need to increase or change your filtration. And learn how to clean your filters all the while never sterilizing them. You want the bacteria to survive, but rinse off the waste.

3. kOI ARE NOT a good choice in your very small pond they can grow to over 3 feet long.

4. instead of a sludge remover try physically removing it.

5. proper water changes can help

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How many fish do you have in the pond right now? That is a small amount of water, especially if you have koi in there. Even gold fish , as they multiply, will over whelm that pond.

Agree with above @GBBUDD

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome35.gif
@divaboys
Seems to me your small pond would be quite crowded w/all those fish in there. I agree w/up above posts. A pond that size would be good for small minnow type fish.

Ask a Question