Big storm, pond muddy

Reaction score
Had a huge thunderstorm and woke up to cloudy pond. Can't see anything. Will fish be o.k till it clears. Assuming dirt and mud splashed in and will settle. Any thoughts would help.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They should be ok, check you water with a test kit

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you can make one spot lower than the rest of the pond , you can let the water out before the whole pond spills over its sides and lets dirt in

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree with drcase, I have an overflow spot in our pond, if it gets too much water it runs out into a gravel bed and down away from the pond.

Reaction score
Thanks, that's a good idea. I don't have the filter up and running yet, as snow has barely melted. We got a warm spell with big thunderstorm all of a sudden. Pond temp has gone up to 10C already. I am redoing waterfall and have to wait a few weeks to do this. Was planning on doing waterfall at same time as clean out as will need to mmove fish and don't want to move them twice or empty pond twice.Hope they will be ok with no filtration and just the aeration pump despite the extra murkiness.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The goldfish should be fine, they are tough survivors.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
As for the murky conditions, as long as no chemicals got washed in the mud itself is not a real issue for the fish themselves. Most breeders use actual mud ponds for raising fish. If you have a lot of clay in the dirt compound it is actually suppose to be benificial to the fish, But for the filter it's not so good. As you have read a over flow would be highly recommended. as for what is already in the pond, just simply clean any pre-filters if you have any on a regular basis, Try using batting material, or matala and place it where the water can go through it. Some will place it where the water comes out of the water fall. It can be removed when your showing the pond off or taking pics but will asuure that more particles are removed before the water goes back to the pond. Most should settle out and the pond should be back clear in a short amount of time. If you have a UV light, have it ready to use, The extra nutrients in the water could cause a algae bloom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hi 4x6x2 My two cents, I would wait a bit on the clean out and just do the waterfall for now. There is a lot of good bacteria in the pond developing now and you may make it a little too sterile for your fish's good. Especially your fish's resistance is the lowest in the Spring and they are most susceptible to disease now . I would wait until your bio-filter has got going before you do any heavy cleaning, especially for a small pond. Also running your pump now even with a little snow and ice will help get rid of the toxins from any organic decay that might be going on now. The airstone isn't enough circulation to do that. Also a little dirty water isn't that harmful. You could always do some partial water changes to clear it up.

Ask a Question