muddy pond

Reaction score
Stupid fish! I re-potted my water lilies and lotus because the fish had knocked out most of the soil/cat litter I planted them in last year. I didn't have any cat litter so I used the clay dirt I have from digging holes for a couple arbors. I topped the pots off with small rock but the koi had to dig in them anyway and not my pond looks like a mud hole. I drained a lot of water off yesterday and added water but it is still muddy and probably will be for the next couple weeks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
darn.............got to love the fish, they were looking for food, as if you don't feed them enough. One reason I stick with kitty clay, it settles a lot faster.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I agree on using the kitty litter! Think also putting bigger rocks or a screen on top so the lilies can poke through might help. Think Cliff and Joanne use upside down hanging plant wire baskets on theirs. You know the kind that you put that coconut fiber stuff in? She says it works great w/ her koi.

Reaction score
I will have to try the wire baskets. My husband just called and said he checked on the pond and it looks like there is a leak, the water level is way down. Good thing summer vacation is just a day away, I am going to need it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will have to try the wire baskets. My husband just called and said he checked on the pond and it looks like there is a leak, the water level is way down. Good thing summer vacation is just a day away, I am going to need it.

Darn...........good luck with finding it, hope it is something simple.

Reaction score
I had bought small but deep storage containers from the dollar store to use as planters for the lilies. After thinking about it, they came with secure tops. I drilled a bunch of 1/2 inch holes all over the lid and slid the lily leaves through the hole and closed the lid. I will keep an eye on how the lilies grow and if they have any problems coming up through the holes but if it works I got koi proof planters for $1.

Reaction score
I had said earlier that my husband said the pond had a leak because the water level dropped several inches in a few hours. Well, I found the leak, my husband. hehehe When he back flushed the filter he turned the handle from 'clean' to 'pond' but did not disconnect the drain hose. Without putting the drain cap back on it continues to leak out water. After the second time of him doing it I figured it out.

The covered planters seem to be working very well. The plants are growing fine and the fish can't get to the dirt.

Reaction score
I found these @ $Tree. They are waste baskets but are plastic mesh. They are about 11 " or so tall. I have bought a bunch and added a pool noodle, zip tied around the top to float my WHyacinth in so their roots get a chance to grow w/o fish eating them. I also have one of those coconut mat liners at the bottom of one and have my newly sprouted Lotus floating in them. Oh, I forgot to mention, I leave the tails on the zip ties for Dragonfly's to light on. It is quite neat to see a bunch of dragonflys resting on the tips of the zip ties. The tails also keep birds from landing on the floaters in order to try to "pick off" the small goldfish. ;)

But, I also saw last night, the fish had uprooted a section of Pickerel Rush and it was floating in the pond. Those were "bagged" in bird netting w a rock to help sink it. Now maybe it has grown so much that this piece was a "newbie" but it had quite a bit of tuber on it. It is now floating in one of my wastbasket floating planters, w8ing for me to re-sink it...I may place it away from the rest in a different spot today.

:goldfish:

Attachments

• DSCF5239.JPG
    DSCF5239.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 337
  • DSCF5397.JPG
    DSCF5397.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 297
Reaction score
Thank you...I look as a lot of things in a different way other than their intended use. I may have to pull up the whole pickerel plant and place it in one of the mesh waste baskets to keep them from uprooting them. Ugh!! Gonna have to make another trip to $Tree! :LOL: I may also use a rope to allow me to pull them up occasionally to check on them since the pond is 3 1/2 ' deep and not easily accessible. I have a Lizards Tail "planted" and hanging from the skimmer basket. I had it near the filter but I noticed last year it was not doing so good. It may need quieter water so I moved it across the pond. I think it is now happy! ;) :goldfish:

Attachments

• DSCF5413.JPG
    DSCF5413.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 268

Ask a Question