Murky pond water

Reaction score
I have a 3400-gal pond that's about 15 months old since enlarging it. I have 7 Koi ranging in size from 6-22", several plants, a skimmer, Ultima IV 4000-gal Bio-filter, waterfall and oxygenator, depth from 2.5-ft to 4.5ft. I backwash my filter twice/week. The water has been very clear up until a few days ago and now the water has become so murky that I can barely see my fish unless they come up to the surface to feed, I have some string algae, but it's not bad, due to an umbrella that shades about 1/2 of the pond. I've tested the water and it's within normal range for everything, yet I'm stumped as to why the water has gotten so murky all of a sudden. I just added some barley extract, maybe that might help. What am I missing, any suggestions?

--Eric

Reaction score
I didnt see anywhere listed in you plethera of goodies a UV sterilizer... that be my guess

Reaction score
I very much appreciate your input. I've considered them, but I'm still on the fence about UV Sterilizers, as my concerns are: 1) will they kill the beneficial bacteria? 2) Doesn't the water go through it too fast kill the algae? and 3) will it constrict the water flow of my pipes (1-1/2")? So I'm not sure how useful they are for these reasons, though I realize many people swear by them. That's not to say I can't be convinced otherwise, of course, these concerns can be overcome. Thanks again.

--Eric

Reaction score
of course slow threw the pipes is better they have higher wattage unites like 25w ect that will kill effectively at higher flow rates good luck

Reaction score
I use a 40W Gamma Pond UV, max flow is 2880gph and has 2" fittings. I have flexible 1 1/2 plumbing running to it and from. I use a 2600gph pump.

The UV does not kill the beneficial bacteria.

I have murky water with my old pond, within the first day of adding a UV light, I noticed the water clearing up.

My pond if 5 feet deep and the water is crystal clear. Of course that is due to more than just the UV, but the UV does it's fair share.

Reaction score
I have never used a UV filter and cannot addres your concern, but it has been my understanding that it will kill 95% of ALL single-cell organisms that pass through it, good or bad:

Pond filtration is not complete if there is algal bloom in the water. Both biological as well as mechanical filters are ineffective against algae. Biological filters do help to some extent, but this is not enough to keep the pond algae-free. An ultraviolet-modifier maybe used to keep algae down. The UV comes in various sizes. The principle behind UV clarification is that once water flows past the UV bulb in the filter, all single-celled organisms will die. But UV lights are ineffective against string algae or blue-green algae. Besides, UV lights will also destroy the beneficial bacteria growing in the pond.

This was from Aquaticcommunity.com

Reaction score
Not so, I use the UV in both of my large ponds. The water stays clear and the quality is premo. Without them the water gets murky, It doesn't have to be on 24-7 mine are not even hooked up right now. Pond is beautiful, Try one. You wont be sorry you did.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I was told to wait til my water turned green,before turning on my U.V sterilizer,i did, it cleared in 3 days to crystal clear, then i ran it 6 hours a night the rest of the seaon,with a dedicated 450 gph pump, on a timer. my water was flawlessly clear, i even pumped the water from my outside pond into my basement pond for the winter, and its still crystal clear. i will pump it back to yard pond this spring. this also will aid in the bio system developing in the redone pond and filter. the pond will be 1000gal this year, were as it was 5 or 6 hundred last year. u.v's work wonders

Reaction score
My fish lady told me to run mine constantly, as I was running it only 12 hrs a day. Is this because she sells the bulbs, or do I really need to run it all day?

Reaction score
rickst3437 said:
My fish lady told me to run mine constantly, as I was running it only 12 hrs a day. Is this because she sells the bulbs, or do I really need to run it all day?

12 hrs a day is fine...youre supposed to replace them every year...running them all year is fine it helps not only with the algae but with parasites and bacteria...you really dont need to run it during the winter because its too cold for algae

Ask a Question