My afternoon challenge: Build a dry creek bed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Howdy friends. So damn busy lately. No pond updates other than I quit paying attention for a a bit and one of my unfinished edges got low and emptied the cistern. Damn it.

Anyway, yesterday I challenged myself to build a dry creek bed to move water away from the house where our rain chain falls at the front door. Used a piece of scrap liner as a bib liner and went to town with the pile of small boulders and gravel I still have laying around. Here's what I came up with. Still slightly unfinished until I pour concrete behind it for the new walkway.

IMG_5044.JPG

IMG_5043.JPG
IMG_5042.JPG

IMG_5040.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5041.JPG
    IMG_5041.JPG
    453.5 KB · Views: 6

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Looks great! I'm building something similar for the overflow from the pond. I hope it comes out looking as nice as yours does!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wondering if you rubbed some moss on the chain if it would turn into a moss ring. With as much rain as you get out there it could be interesting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don’t know what a miss ring is, but I have a pile of moss in the side yard that I scraped off of some concrete over a year ago that is just sitting out and still perfectly alive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think he means a "moss rain chain". Grow moss down the chain that gets watered by the rain. I think the success of that plan would depend on how fast the rain flows down the chain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think he means a "moss rain chain". Grow moss down the chain that gets watered by the rain. I think the success of that plan would depend on how fast the rain flows down the chain.

Ah, got it. That would be awesome. Chain material might be too slick and water flow too rough, but worth a shot.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ah, got it. That would be awesome. Chain material might be too slick and water flow too rough, but worth a shot.
I think it would only stay on there when it rains and during the dry times it would all die. I mean we do have a lot of rain but we do have dry times here too.

Ask a Question