My cheap milk crate floating garden.

An experimental design repurposing milk crates and bottles to create a floating garden pool pond!
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Bloody brilliant mate. Did ya zip tie the the bottom of the crates or only the top. Where'd ya get the crates from? I thought they were like hens teeth. I'd love to use that idea to make a floating bridge over my pond, lots of surface area for good bacteria to thrive and hiding places for frogs and fish. Love it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Australia
Bloody brilliant mate. Did ya zip tie the the bottom of the crates or only the top. Where'd ya get the crates from? I thought they were like hens teeth. I'd love to use that idea to make a floating bridge over my pond, lots of surface area for good bacteria to thrive and hiding places for frogs and fish. Love it.
Hi Sisha,
Thanks mate. Yes I zip tied the bottom too (way more stable that way). Crates in SA were easy enough to come by. Check out op shops, bottle recycle centres, gumtree, marketplace etc. Yeah lots of tidy holes for frogs, fish and bacteria. Also keeps the water cooler in summer with the majority of the pool in permanent shade. Thanks for watching the video :)

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks for the info, I'm in SA too, I will have to get looking for them. I have little floating baskets with herbs and lettuce. spearmint etc. but that garden of yours. Brilliant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Australia
Fellow Adelaidian! Cool. Your floating baskets sound cool. Thanks for the compliments on my wacky design. Let me know if I can help with anything. I think if you were to try this idea, I’d recommend keeping to bottles designed for pressure like soft drink. The milk bottles are consistent in staying sealed under pressure. I’ll do a follow up video about this. Cheers.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Fellow Adelaidian! Cool. Your floating baskets sound cool. Thanks for the compliments on my wacky design. Let me know if I can help with anything. I think if you were to try this idea, I’d recommend keeping to bottles designed for pressure like soft drink. The milk bottles are consistent in staying sealed under pressure. I’ll do a follow up video about this. Cheers.
Yeah, will do. I'm looking for our next house to invest then move into when we sell the farm and definitely want one with a pool I can convert. So excited about this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Your pond looks really cool! However the video link is broken? Would love to know how this was constructed. I have a very very mini version of the floating plant look around the rim of my little pond but it’s all being supported by diy PVC stands, curious to learn more about yours!

Ask a Question