Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hey ya'll :D
So I moved down to the University yesterday, and today I purchased and set up my brand new 10 gallon aquarium.

It's meant for tropical fish but I am going to keep fancy goldfish in it, which I will add to my pond next spring. I will purchase the fish tomorrow or Wednesday.

In the tank, I have a plastic dish full of aquarium gravel and three tropical waterlily bulbs, discussed HERE. I am also using the dish as a temporary air stone as I do not have one for my aerator currently.

I have the thermometer which came with the kit near the heater, which might not be the best idea, but it was the most convenient spot to put it and I can't relocate the heater.

This is my new set up :D Let me know what you think! Updates to follow sometime soon :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
If your planning to keep fancy goldfish you should really consider taking the ten gallon back and getting at least a twenty gallon. That way you could comfortably house two fancies for a while. A tank that small could work short term for two small fancies but you have to keep on top of water changes. You should really think about adding a couple air stones too.

Let us know what you end up doing :)

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
@Mmathis I plan on keeping two fancy goldfish. @bettasngoldfish I can't keep a 20 gallon tank in my dorm it is simply too big. They will only be living in the tank until spring, so I think they will be fine. Water changes won't be a problem because the sink is right outside my door and I have a large pitcher to do them with. I'm already planning on getting an air stone. I have kept fancies in my old ten gallon tank and they seemed fine for many years. This tank is basically the replacement for my pond while I'm away, so I'll probably be doing just as much maintenance on the little tank as I normally do on my pond, which is a lot!

Reaction score
Country
United States
ZmanArt007 got ya, You can only do what you can do with the space you have ;)

As for keeping them long term in a ten gallon. I just look at my big Oranda and big telescope eye and I can't imagine them even being in a ten gallon tank alone let alone with another fish of equal size.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like your setup will be just fine for that short amount of time and why do you need a heater? Most goldfish like cooler water but then am I wrong about the fancy ones? How about some plants to give them a little feeling of security. They love that Anacharis plant to nibble on.

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
@j.w The kit came with the heater. I have the water a bit warmer than room temperature because it is really cold in this room and I want the tropical water lilies to be comfortable. It will never be warmer than 76 degrees I'd say, which should be fine for goldfish right?

@bettasngoldfish I'm buying little fish don't worry. They will be able to grow all they want in the pond!

@JohnHuff I am not sure what a moving bed filter is.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Reaction score
Well Im glad for you that you can keep some fish I am pretty surprised you kept fancy goldfish in a 10 gallon for years. I have 2 fancies that are the size of a ten gallon lol. One is 230 grams the other is 280 grams.

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
How about 2 Koi fish? They are active and your tank has a top.
Welllll... I sorta... did get a koi...

I got a beautiful doitsu butterfly koi, a redcap oranda, and a ryukin. Its really hard to find doitsu koi around here so I simple HAD to buy this koi. I'm going to take it home in a month, so don't worry about it outgrowing the tank everyone.

Ask a Question