My first Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's getting there. what do you think so far. Need more rock and plants around it.
Screenshot_20200906-191115_SENS8 (1).jpg20200926_161331.jpg20200930_160814.jpg20200930_160839.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
The waterfall is my biggest concern. I am thinking I can either use smaller rocks on the verticals to limit weight or I can build a frame that covers everything in wood(should'nt get too wet) and use linoleum that looks like stone/rock wrapped around it. I'm looking for suggestions for that.
I am also thinking of using the stones around the edge of the pond and moving all of the slate to the outside of that making the slate more of a patio?ish kind of thing.(hard to describe).

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
The waterfall is my biggest concern. I am thinking I can either use smaller rocks on the verticals to limit weight or I can build a frame that covers everything in wood(should'nt get too wet) and use linoleum that looks like stone/rock wrapped around it. I'm looking for suggestions for that.
I am also thinking of using the stones around the edge of the pond and moving all of the slate to the outside of that making the slate more of a patio?ish kind of thing.(hard to describe).
If you are looking for a linoleum like product, look at rock on a roll, not the most natural looking but much better that black liner. I personally have has extremely bad experiences with it, but just because I was trying to cover the walls of a circular pond. Others like @addy1 seem to like it very much :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did a flat rock stack around my water fall in AZ pond. I had it stacked up 4ish feet. The main thing to do is start with big flat rocks and work up, make sure each rock is well seated before you move on to the next.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
There is a technique in building a waterfall. At least in my opinion...

You have to have a liner completely covering the underside. Water will seek the easier path, which will be in-between and around your waterfall rocks. The liner will ensure that all the water will return to the pond. Think of it this way...the liner IS the waterfall and the rocks are just there to cover the liner and make it look nice.

The liner can be a separate piece that you add on. You just have to make sure it has a good overlap on top your pond liner. Maybe 18" or so.

The key is forming the base...
Form the soil under the liner in a concave slope so that any water that hits it can only return to the pond. Also form some shallow shelves so your rocks will have a stable place to sit. Put your underlayment down, then your liner.

Now that your liner is in place you can stack your stones on the shelves you made. Stack the bottom layer with your larger stones. You'll need flat stones with smooth edges. No sharp or pointy edges that may puncture your liner. Have the stones slightly tilted toward the pond.

When your first row is set, stack the next row like a brick wall for stability where the stones are on the seams of the first row. Work your way up, row by row.

I've had a few waterfalls and have fussed a lot with them to get them just right. Sometimes you'll want to move some rocks to different positions until you get the right look or sound from the water.

Try to make it look natural. Not a big high mound coming out of nowhere. Have the sides gradual and plant some bushes or grasses on the sides to conceal the mound.

These are only my suggestions, it's your project and it's totally up to you.

I'll shut up now... (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I second what PJ said above plus, I've found the wfall looks nicer if you place larger rocks on the bottom and work toward smaller, flatter ones at the top. I changed my wfall for 7 years straight until I figured out exactly how to get the look I wanted. They say practice makes perfect...'they' must have owned a pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Waterfalls that have only small rocks have a much harder time controlling the water the splash and from looking like a natural waterfall.

The liner is only to collect any water that gets under your rocks.

Waterfall foam is essential for waterfalls using any sized rocks.

The idea is to keep the water running on top of your rocks. So install a layer of rock then fill in any area with foam. The foam expands and is very messy to work with. Or you can build a few layers depending on your skill level and then spay the foam into the gaps forcing the water to run on top of your rocks. One tip is to stop short with the foam and as it expands it can finish expanding and filling tge void. If it expands too much DONT TRY TO REMOVE IT WHILE WET. let it dry and then it can easily be cut and shaped the way you would like it. An other little trick is when the foam is starting to skin over you can sprinkle some sand ,or fine gravel over the foam. To make it look like there is actual dirt and soil between your rocks.
Yes having the rocks tipped forward adds interest in the waterfall but so does creating puddles for water to fall into and creating bubbles and watch them fall over the falls.

Again the biggest rocks you can get and work the easier it is to look more real like.

The biggest mistake I see is the liner is ended to close to the sides of the waterfall. And or the falls have no sides at all making the falls in the shape like this (__-------__) with the falls in the center and the sides cupping around the falls is one that will help catch splashing . And take my word for it that can be a lot.
Lastly the foam is not ment to be structural it is only to control and direct the water. Unforunately it is not waterproof but the closer you attention you make the foam filling the gaps the more water will be seen coming over your falls

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have never used expanding foam on any of my waterfalls, but people do use it. It's one of those personal opinion things.

I make sure each stone is stable. I'll turn it, flip it or if it doesn't sit stable, I'll try a different one. Every row is staggered for stability, like a brick wall. Each row steps back as they get higher.

Building a waterfall can sometimes be an ongoing project. In my experience, it's not uncommon to reposition some of the stones or swap them out to get a satisfactory look or sound. Using the foam might be a problem if you want to make changes. This is my opinion. Do what you like.

I feel if you shape the liner correctly, any water that finds it's way under or around the stones can only return to the pond.

I always use the largest flattest stones I can find with smooth edges ( I don't want any punctures).

I set the stones tipped slightly toward the pond and each row is slightly concave shaped, so the center stones are slightly lower than the ones at the sides.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess Im just going to keep updating it. The waterfall fell over after snowmageddon, so I thought I would like this better. Getting a faux waterfall.

20200619_185048.jpg20200930_160839.jpg20210418_113004.jpg20210418_182750.jpgPond 5-31-21.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
looks like first pond and bigger pond and biggest pond all in one photo group

Ask a Question