Red pond ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Ive noticed my water in my pond has a red tinge to it?
I am feeding my golfish dried blood worm pellets, could this be the problem??
All fish are happy and love this food.
Any help please...thanks kevin

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You have a pic of the pond? How big is the pond? Filtration on pond?

I wouldn’t think the pellets would change the color of the water unless the pond is small.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Is it a reddish dark brown? At the beginning of my first pond season, my water was kind of reddish-brown. It was due to tannins from oak tree tassels and acorns! It's much better now!
IMG_1557.jpeg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How did you deal with the tannins
For me, I removed as many tree branches and leaves as I could from the water — a side effect of building near 2 oak trees! Then, I got some activated charcoal like they use in aquariums (but I bought it in large quantities). Put the AC in a mesh bag and added it to my filtration. It took a few days, but worked. Read up on tannins in pond water. I think that AC is the only removal method, but there may be others out there — I took the easy route.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I waited for the oak tree tassel season to finish, then I did like TurtleMommy and netted out anything I could get. My set up is very, very convenient for doing small water changes. Each time I cleaned out the skimmer and the filter pad under the skimmer, I turned off my pump and opened the gate valve at the bottom of the waterfall filter receptacle. (It's about the size of a huge garbage can.) I'd empty that, then turn the pump back on and top off if needed. With all the rain we normally get, I don't often have to add water. By doing that several times a month, the water eventually gets much lighter. It still has the color of weak iced tea, sort of, but I don't mind. This is how it looks now. The rocks on the sides have a coating of algae - that's the darkness you see now. It is tinted, but actually very clear! You can see the rocks down 3 1/2 feet to the deepest point.
61403332415__EE74914D-48AA-4B18-BC95-DF5A41CF0E90.jpg

Ask a Question