Green algae or pond scum

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm new to pond forum I have a storage shed pond 170 in length 75 across. I have green pond scum on top it seems to be a film it move when the wind blows I have treated it with Algae control ,Pond clear , now Cutrine_Plus Aquatic Algaecide. Would anyone know what I can put in before it turns thick.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry, I'm pretty new on here and to ponds in general. I have never heard the term "storage shed pond"? What does that refer to, if I could ask?

Sorry, thx

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have the same question. Also are there fish in this pond? Plants? Waterfall or other aeration?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1593636658034.gif
@Charles08
No clue either what a storage shed pond could be? How about a photo for us to see.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Do you have fish or plants? Is there a filter?

Can you post a picture? What is a storage shed pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry, I'm pretty new on here and to ponds in general. I have never heard the term "storage shed pond"? What does that refer to, if I could ask?

Sorry, thx
A storage shed is a pond at the bottom on a hill rain runs down through the trees before it was a pond it was a swamp had the pond dug all the water for 2 miles ends up there when It gets to full it runs out a concrete culvert

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, thx for your answer. I am not going to be able to help you, (not experienced), but one last (hopefully) question by me. What size is your pond? You state, "170 in length 75 across". A little confusing to me. Is that 170 inches by 75 inches or is it other dimensions. You mention it was a swamp, and I have visions of something very large.

I'm sorry if I'm confusing things. It probably has nothing to do with your scum or algae.

Sorry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Could you post some pictures of the pond and the algae growth, a few picture's would surely help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My guess is that all that rain washing down through the trees, the ground, etc. is most likely picking up all kinds of natural nutrients or fertilizer which may be feeding that algae.

Your pond may not have all the components to cycle properly which would help to clear it up in a natural fashion.

Stagnant water without fish, plants, water movement, aeration, filtration, will be just that...a stagnant mess.

Try to read up on the nitrogen cycle of ponds.

Approximately how many gallons does the pond hold?
Are there any fish in there?
Are there any aquatic plants in there to help with filtration?
Do you have any aeration?
Do you have any filtration?
Do you have anything that creates water movement?
You said water overflows, but is that enough movement?

We need more information to help you.
What are those measurements? Feet, meters?
Pictures will also help.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A storage shed is a pond at the bottom on a hill rain runs down through the trees before it was a pond it was a swamp had the pond dug all the water for 2 miles ends up there when It gets to full it runs out a concrete culvert
I’d think you’d have to check local codes, state resource commission and even the EPA. The community here are good at garden ponds and when you talk about converting a swamp to a pond it sounds like a whole different level.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Charles08 Hey there!

It seems we’ve been asking a lot of questions about your pond, but we’re not getting much info back from you.

The way this works, is you give us as much info as possible about your pond (IOW, the questions we’ve been asking you). We can take that information and try to help you figure out what is causing your problem and try to help you come up with solutions.

All we know is that you have an algae problem, that your pond is (apparently) at the end of a downhill run-off, and that you’ve been using chemicals to stop the problem (without success).

I don’t mean to sound rude, but we can’t help you without your help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK, thx for your answer. I am not going to be able to help you, (not experienced), but one last (hopefully) question by me. What size is your pond? You state, "170 in length 75 across". A little confusing to me. Is that 170 inches by 75 inches or is it other dimensions. You mention it was a swamp, and I have visions of something very large.

I'm sorry if I'm confusing things. It probably has nothing to do with your scum or algae.

Sorry.
@Charles08 Hey there!

It seems we’ve been asking a lot of questions about your pond, but we’re not getting much info back from you.

The way this works, is you give us as much info as possible about your pond (IOW, the questions we’ve been asking you). We can take that information and try to help you figure out what is causing your problem and try to help you come up with solutions.

All we know is that you have an algae problem, that your pond is (apparently) at the end of a downhill run-off, and that you’ve been using chemicals to stop the problem (without success).

I don’t mean to sound rude, but we can’t help you without your help.
The pond is 170 feet in length 70 feet across

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My guess is that all that rain washing down through the trees, the ground, etc. is most likely picking up all kinds of natural nutrients or fertilizer which may be feeding that algae.

Your pond may not have all the components to cycle properly which would help to clear it up in a natural fashion.

Stagnant water without fish, plants, water movement, aeration, filtration, will be just that...a stagnant mess.

Try to read up on the nitrogen cycle of ponds.

Approximately how many gallons does the pond hold?
Are there any fish in there?
Are there any aquatic plants in there to help with filtration?
Do you have any aeration?
Do you have any filtration?
Do you have anything that creates water movement?
You said water overflows, but is that enough movement?

We need more information to help you.
What are those measurements? Feet, meters?
Pictures will also help.
@Charles08 Can you address any of the above questions?

Ask a Question