My fish has a bobo..

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would shoot more for a reading of about 1300-1400 .13%-.14% This should help the fish but not harm any plants or if it does it will usually only slightly slow them down while the level is elevated, once everything passes and the level starts dropping with water changes they will come right on back out.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
I would shoot more for a reading of about 1300-1400 .13%-.14% This should help the fish but not harm any plants or if it does it will usually only slightly slow them down while the level is elevated, once everything passes and the level starts dropping with water changes they will come right on back out.

There is water softener salt at HomeDepot called Diamond Crystal
Solar Salt 40 lb. Extra-Coarse Water Softening Salt. Is this okay to use? I can bring up the level.. Or should I go buy sea salt?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I had someone that tried water softener salt pellets, and they didn't like them at all. Said they started seeing some GH and KH changes and stopped using it and they started using rock salt. I prefer standard rock salt, Most do use a bulk salt that they get from Lowes and Home depot and it may be the same thing as you have found.. I got the bulk Rock salt I use from tractor supply.

Reaction score
Just plain rock salt? This is confusing because I'm not sure what KIND of rock salt..I don't want to put in something that will kill them.. This is the first time I've put salt in it.. I went to the bulk barn here in town and bought SEA SALT...

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
sea salt is fine, The main things I would stay away from, Salt pellets, and iodized salt, Look on the bag for 100% pure. If it says that you should be good to go. The difference between sea salt and rock salt, Sea salt is gotten through processing and removing water from the sea and retaining the salt crystals, Rock salt is mined salt. They are still both Sodium chloride.

Reaction score
ok fishin' is it necessary to add salt to a small pond like mine , or is this just a medical move , i see that you have salt in your pond and recommend it to others , what are the benefits , and again is this an absolute requirement?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
NO, It is not absolutly needed. there are some that do not use salt unless it is for medical use only. salt adds electrolytes which help the fish produce more slime coating. Some fancy goldfish just plain out do better with some salt added. I've run ponds with and without.

Reaction score
Quick question? This is the first time reading a saline meter.. I just bought this digital meter so I put it in the pond.. I got a reading of 542 ???? Is this a salt reading?? What would it mean? thanks so much for the help.

Reaction score
No instructions.. :(
I will search on line...I bought a water tester months ago. It looks identical...I had better check it out...

Reaction score
ah ha.. I thought so.. Thank you... So I will add some more to bring it up to .1%
I'm off for a few days,, yayyyy and my friend and I are going to take out the second pond and turn it into a waterfall so after that is complete, I will bring up the level.. There is still some foam in the pond from the treatment I put in...This information is soooo helpful.. Thanks so much...

Ask a Question