New fish fever has hit North Texas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We went out to Keller Farms in Haltom City, Tx last Friday (Good Friday) and lo and behold they had an excellent selection of pond fish in addition to an excellent selection of freshwater aquarium fish. Somehow we ended up leaving the store with 3 good sized shubunkins for $59 dollars total (including tax). That means they were less than $20 a piece which is easily the most money I've spent on any of my fish, but I figured it was not bad considering they are about 8-9 inches in length? What do y'all think of them!? Unless I build a MUCH larger pond one day this is probably the closest I'll get to owning koi.

***For some reason it's not letting me upload the photos. It keeps saying they are too large but I can't find where it says a file size limit...*** @Becky , the photos are about 1.5MB each which doesn't seem too big but is there a specific limit?

Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Looking forward to pics of them. shubunkins are my favorite type of goldfish.

I’ve spent quite a bit on fish, in my pond. However, I don’t spend too much cause they could end up being an expensive heron snack.

Now in my saltwater tank I have spent hundreds of dollars on a single fish. Only have to worry about me doing something dumb to kill them in there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lol the title had me worried, I though a new virus was on the loose!
smlaughing.gif

Congratulations on your addition, can't wait to see them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! @addy1, I had never heard of a sunrise shubunkin before but I do think they’re very nice looking fish. I really like how the blueish grey stands out against the dark liner. I think it’s one of my favorites but my favorite of the new ones is the one @Gemma likes. I love the mix of red-orange, black, and blueish grey. I think shubunkins are so very interesting because there’s no two that are exactly the same.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Your fish are beautiful @addy1! I hope mine get as big and beautiful as yours some day. How big is your largest shubunkin? The one with a lot of black looks really BIG!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How big is your largest shubunkin? The one with a lot of black looks really BIG!
That is one of my females. She is around 11 inches plus minus. I picked her up for around 5 bucks at a local fishery. Around 4 years ago.

Ask a Question