New pond with no fish has gone milky colour?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have just completed building my pond. intnetions are to add koi carp to it, after using a three stage water filter the water was crystal clear, however after a week of the water in the pond ( with no filtration) I started to see a white film creating on the side walls and the bottom of the pond, once the filter,UV, and pump were in place and running, I woke up in the morning to a pond which looked like 100 litres of full fat milk had been poured into it.

It's cloudy and seems to have small white bits in there. I have kept the filter running with bio media in the chamber, and with a surface skimmer running all day. The surface skimmer and the filter has pretty much changed to a white colour too.

I have no clue what this could be? Any help would be great

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here are some photos of the pond and what i have been tackling

Attachments

• IMG_4249.JPG
    IMG_4249.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_4250.JPG
    IMG_4250.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_4251.JPG
    IMG_4251.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_4252.JPG
    IMG_4252.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 452
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Here are some photos of the pond and what i have been tackling

First pic I assumed gravel/ rocks not fully washed, not a big deal it will filter out or settle. Again not a big worry. That slime film in your hand not sure I'll leave that to experts.

Side note I like the decking love to see the whole pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Not really. I would turn off the UV and let the pond balance itself naturally. You will be glad that you did.
What was the source of the original fill water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ahh ok, whats the reasoning of turning off the UV? I used my garden hose which is attached to the mains water supply. Then into a three stage water filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ahh ok, whats the reasoning of turning off the UV? I used my garden hose which is attached to the mains water supply. Then into a three stage water filter
@Meyer Jordan Wil correct me on this one. The UV will kill suspended algae which I assume is needed to correct the problem or the UV will enhance the problem. I don't use UV so not an expert.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I deleted it because I didn't want to side track the solution. I asked what chemicals or additives were added and for the filter information which is very nice by the way.
They where good questions and not side tracking imho. It leaves good questions to others who post like this and may help them think and pre reply with answers to questions of ph etc or changes to environment so we can help quicker vrs the "song and dance" of the standard questions .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
http://www.aquariumonline.co.uk/rev...MIuZX3xZru1QIV4bftCh0LcgB1EAQYCyABEgKQAvD_BwE

I have not added anything else. Just filled up with water through the filter in the link

Interesting. By chance did you rinse off any of the Carbon filter cartridges before you placed this filter in use?
Bacteria blooms are a result of an excessive amount of organic Carbon in the water. Activated charcoal is just that. If any Charcoal dust washed out of the filter, this could very well be the cause of this bacteria bloom.
You do not say how big your pond is or what amount of biofiltration you have. The filter that you supplied the link to is strictly for dechorinating the water and removing other impurities, it is not a adequate or suitable substitute for a dedicated biofilter.
My reason for suggesting that you turn off the UV is to allow planktonic algae to grow and compete with the bacteria for the.organic Carbon. Once the bacteria bloom dissipates you can turn the UV on, but I would recommend that you leave it unplugged and allow the next stage in the aquatic food chain, the zooplankton, to populate, They will eat the planktonic algae.

Ask a Question