My fish survived the winter!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6B (-5 to 0 F)
Country
United States
Thought I’d share the good (and slightly unexpected) news that all my koi and sarasa goldfish survived the winter. This was my first winter so I was a little nervous once the pond thawed to see how many, if any, survived. I used the breather that was recommended by one of you lovely people and it did the trick keeping a hole open on the surface of the ice. So good news! I did notice a bit of the string algae I read about in other posts. I’m hoping it’s a spring issue that will right itself once I add more bog plants. To anyone living in my zone, when do you recommend refilling the bog?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I started mine up in mid March. Ice had melted, we had a few cold nights but all did fine. It did drop the pond water temperature, it is now up to 62f

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's always nice to read good news! I'm happy for you! :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not added plants for years now. The bog regrows year after year. I do purge plants now and then. It has started to explode with the warmth we have been having.

Marsh betomy, obedient plant, creeping Jenny, lizard tail, mint, yellow flag iris, lirope, water willow, spider wort, iris, moss, a bit of grass and blue forgetmenot. And probably something I am forgetting.
Capturea.JPG

Ask a Question