Fish food freshness

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Do you guys have any idea of guidelines on how long goldfish pellets are good? They smell kind of stinky when they are fresh, so I can't do the smell test. There is no expiration or use by date anywhere on the canister. I opened them less than a year ago, but they've been in a little cabinet on my front porch, so not stored at a consistent temperature. Do you think they are still "good?"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I use fish food from the previous season. I buy it from a quality supplier and it is stored in an airtight container inside my home.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't use it. It should be stored in a temperature controlled environment, out of direct sunlight and in an airtight container.

Rule of thumb I learned was to pitch any leftover food after 6 months.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Goldfish and koi are a type of Asian carp. I’ve seen what mine will eat in the pond, so mine eat on a bag till it’s gone, unless rain, etc get at it. So I keep mine inside now, and only keep a small amount out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Basically the vitamins that are added to commercial foods have a shelf life. If the food is stored properly it won't be dangerous to feed but it may not be as nutritious. Vitamin C specifically is important to goldfish and when stored too long loses its potency.

Reaction score
Don't forget that they are carp as JamieB pointed out. Carp eat anything and in nature, they don't go by expiration dates. If they don't like something they won't eat it. It won't turn to poison so use it up. As far as being nutritious they can get their nutrition from the algae in the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We aren't talking wild carp or nature here. We're talking about "pet" fish in a man made environment.

Not looking for an argument here just stating the facts. The food loses its nutritional value over time. Thats why it has an expiration date on the label (although in this case the op stated hers didn't) If that's important to you then toss the old food and buy new. If it's not important then use up the old food ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with @bettasngoldfish - however... much like human food, the "expiration date" is really more of a "best to use by" date - it won't hurt you (or your fish) but may not be as nutritious (or in the case of that can of expired Spaghettios in my pantry) delicious if you eat it past the date. And, like with my own food, I would less likely to use an opened expired package or container than a sealed one.

Reaction score
We aren't talking wild carp or nature here. We're talking about "pet" fish in a man made environment.

Not looking for an argument here just stating the facts. The food loses its nutritional value over time. Thats why it has an expiration date on the label (although in this case the op stated hers didn't) If that's important to you then toss the old food and buy new. If it's not important then use up the old food ;)
Yes, food does lose its nutritional value, at least I would assume that it does, but that doesn't mean that your fish will not do well. Fish are fish in nature or in a pond and I have observed that even when not fed they thrive. Case in point I stop feeding my fish in the fall when I run out of food. This usually happens around the beginning of October. I don't want to order more (because I like to get a fresh bag in the spring). With nothing to eat besides whatever fish eat in the pond, they do just fine. I start feeding them 8 months later. Now I'm not a fishologist but I have observed that they don't need fresh fish food for nutrition, at least to live and thrive. They do love to eat and will devour almost anything I throw in including Cheerios but they don't need it to live. I don't really believe that much of what I find on the internet but here is an article about Koi. I'm not looking for an argument either just saying.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I buy larger bags and use my vaccum sealer to package it up. Stored in basement , cool, dark location. I still have a supply of the medicated food that has been discontinued.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I feed mine to draw them to the surface and to prevent them from eating my plants. This year they’ll be fed regular due to the changes, as I had to shut the big pond down, and until I get it moved and established again, they’ll get fed. So at least all this year.

Ask a Question