j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You guys have warmer pond water then us here in the cool west! I shiver at the thought of entering my pond. Try to do everything from the sides leaning over trying not to fall in.
So far so good except for the cat, that was funny, not for the cat tho

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is bouncing between 55 and 60, the cool nights pull it down, the bog has too much surface area, it cools the pond water off. No problem though I shut the pump off soon.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not shutting mine off as it never gets too cold for that here. It's a submersible so it'd be ok anyways.
One consideration of external pumps in cold areas, they need to be pulled, one power outage and you could lose your pump.

But I don't mind pulling it, a short season of no running water to think about. And the pond/bog does fine.

Reaction score
Sometimes when I come in after working outdoors I am covered in dirt so thick there are white area's just around my eyes and all else is dirt tanned. Hubby always says "did you know you have a very dirty face" DUH!!! I have plenty of old worn out clothes I use for all kinds of different grubby work from painting to gathering pitch soaked wood. I had shoes that gained a couple inches in height cuz of all the Pine tree pitch :D
That reminds me of the first time I went to pick my son up from school and had to go in looking filthy with dirt covering most of my legs, shorts, arms, tank. I thought for a second about but then just didn't really care. I wanted to hurry so I could be back home to work!! Now I even run quick errands all ponded out with out a second thought. I went to a tennis lesson with dirt on my legs and encrusted in my finger nails because I didn't get out of the pond in time. I have no shame anymore!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh gosh I can soooooooooooooo relate w/you Lisa........................should I be ashamed of myself.................cuz I'm not

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing you should see me when we have to do a run to home depot and in the middle of a reconstruction job..............paint, mud, sawdust, totally trashed clothes, don't care at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JW, I let one of my pumps run all winter now. There is a tiny drizzle of water down my water fall under the snow during the winter. Addy, Two years ago my pump stopped working in the winter and started right back up in the spring. I think there is an automatic shutoff switch on my Laguna pumps.
I haven't enlarged my pond or needed to fix the liner in a few years now. My wife always knew when I was working on it because sometimes mud wound up all over the house! Lisabetten, Re being dirty, because I'm in construction people probably thought I was the one doing all the hard work when I had dirty fingernails. They probably didn't know I work in an office and the mud was from my pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
There is just something to be said about getting dirty and muddy because of working in your pond creation that is nothing like getting dirty because you had to, say, dig out your septic tank or something gross like that! Our dirt is "clean dirt", as my dad used to say. And, we know what is being created while our hands and legs and clothes are getting filthy. Glad I'm not the only one running to the store to get parts and not caring if I am dirty from pond work. ;-)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Imagine tho going to Costco all grubby like we get w/ dirt under our nails,clothes messed up and stopping to sample all the goodies!
They might throw us bums out but it might prove beneficial as it would drive the other samplers away and then it's all ours

Reaction score
Imagine tho going to Costco all grubby like we get w/ dirt under our nails,clothes messed up and stopping to sample all the goodies!
They might throw us bums out but it might prove beneficial as it would drive the other samplers away and then it's all ours
I have a Costco opening Nov 1st just hop, skip and jump from my house! I will give the sample thing a try!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lisae, Sometimes I go to the Costco by us, but it's usually just for one or two things. It's amazing how many times strangers come up to me at checkout and ask me how I could manage just to buy only a few items! The typical comment is: Is that all?

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sometimes I forget one of the important items when I go into shop at Costco and I go back in and pick up the one thing and stand in line. They look at me weird and I feel I must explain,lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, because a lot of times you are going to just get one thing like pita chips, and you come out with new patio furniture, a 7 piece luggage set, and a case of beer! Most people don't have good self control there because when you see a good deal you want to get it whether you need it or not. Seeing someone with just a few things makes everyone else feel guilty!

Ask a Question