j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So true Keith. We went in for a few grocery items awhile back and came out w/2 computers, a set of phones, 5 bags of cat litter, a long poled duster, and a vacuum cleaner...................all on sale and then I forgot the sour cream so had to go back inside again :rolleyes:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So true Keith. We went in for a few grocery items awhile back and came out w/2 computers, a set of phones, 5 bags of cat litter, a long poled duster, and a vacuum cleaner...................all on sale and then I forgot the sour cream so had to go back inside again :rolleyes:

Sounds like us, we went into a grocery store for a bag of ice, which is all we needed, left with a 60 dollar bill and NO ICE!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OMG, you are all soooo funny ... and sound just like me!!! Keith, you win the prize though. I've never gone into a store for pita chips (love them!!!) and come out with patio furniture and set of luggage and a case of beer. I see a trend there ... sit and relax with the beer while you pack for your vacation .... :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
CE, haha thats funny. Actually that exact scenario never happened to me but we have fallen for a lot of unplanned purchases there. How did you know? ....we are planning a big trip for my wife's birthday!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This past weekend i cut down all my pond perennials and cleaned up about hundreds of leaves that fell in during the past week or so. It's been more than 10 days since I fed anything to the fish and I'm done feeding for the year. Before that I was feeding very lightly... just a few days a week when it wasn't too cold. I also removed my bio-filter and one of the pumps and left one pump running over my water fall and one airstone working. There are still some lily pads. I didn't pull them all out because the fish like hiding under them. Well I guess I'm ready for winter!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can see the lilies are still growing, I cut them all back then they grew more leaves sent up buds, flowered lol, our pond is sitting around 50 degrees, bouncing up and down a little.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can rest easy now Keith, your pond is going to sleep well now. I still have one last thing to do..............clean the pre-filter. Big storm outside right now............maybe get it done tomorrow or the next.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Addy, I don't know if my lilies are growing but they are not yellow yet and the fish like hiding under them. JW, your right! Still have to put away planters and stuff,but the hard work is done! but..........cleaning the leaves is always a work in progress!!
IMG_20141106_093345_974.jpg
IMG_20141106_093356_776.jpg
IMG_20141106_093405_991.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Finally got mine cleaned today and finished cleaning the filter and then did some net scooping on the bottom where the filter sits on the bottom. Not much stuff came out there but then went to the other end near the falls and whoa w/the first scoop I came up w/ a massive ball of string algae and spent quite a bit of time getting more out and separating all the poor Hornwort etc. from it and snails too. Done now so pond can sleep now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I haven't netted the bottom yet. I may need to do it to give the fish a little more room at the bottom when it gets chilly higher up in the pond. I never love doing it because it stirs up a lot of stuff no matter how careful I am.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
After I netted it I stuck the pre-filter back in and it will suck up all the stuff big enough to get caught in there. The fine stuff will just have to resettle and the fish will have to deal w/it cuz I'm done. Brrrrrrrr, only 33 here now. Didn't realize it was going down that low and hope my 3 plants out in pots that I move into the garage each winter didn't freeze last night. Sun is shining tho so time for a bike ride today w/hubby.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks like a tide line going across the middle but then it doesn't. Where is that vastness?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
New Mexico, The landscape seemed pretty empty from the air. There were lots of circles on the ground. I couldn't figure what they were.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There were lots of circles on the ground. I couldn't figure what they were.
That is how they farm there. The irrigation systems are sprinklers that go in circles. Center pivot irrigation

"
The center-pivot irrigation system is considered to be a highly efficient system which helps conserve water.

Center pivot irrigation typically uses less water compared to many surface irrigation and furrow irrigation techniques,[6] which reduces the expenditure of and conserves water. It also helps to reduce labor costs compared to some ground irrigation techniques, which are often more labor-intensive.[6] Some ground irrigation techniques involve the digging of channels on the land for the water to flow, whereas the use of center-pivot irrigation can reduce the amount of soil tillage that occurs and helps to reduce water runoff and soil erosion that can occur with ground irrigation.[6] Less tillage encourages more organic materials and crop residue to decompose back into the soil, and reduces soil compaction.["

Ask a Question