My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I didn't take any pictures today but there is lots of floating algae in the pond. Kinda weird. It was peas soup green for a few days. Then it cleared up. I thought maybe it cycled and now the clumps of algae. I guess there are different stages of cycling because I have had this before and it usually goes away after a short time. i did feed my fish two days in a row because it was so warm.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
A lot of the floating algae cleared up from yesterday. I got to my property this morning and my drywall contractor was feeding the fish! I'm glad I'm not paying him by the hour!
I think the real question is how many new ponders your laying little seeds in the backs of their minds Keith

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
geeze here 8 acres cost 18 thousand
Location location location. I see these half million dollar houses in California smaller than mine by almost half & think of the 4K mansion that would buy here. Don't tell my wife sissy, she already likes the idea of moving to Georgia because of the lower cost of living, I said stick me in Appalachia & we might be on to something, if I could ever adjust to the heat

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love where I live in VA as the mountains seem to stop the storms in there tracks .Only bad storms we ever get come up from the south and they seem to get pushed off to the ocean .I bought new snow shovels and never got to use them :(;)Not complaining or next year I may pay the price for that comment .My taxes are less than a thousand dollars on 3 acres and insurance here for home and cars is cheap .3 cars 3 drivers and it was 400 a year but now with new car it went up to 600 a year for full coverage .House I have over insured .Funny I let them know the microwave caught on fire and they sent me a check for 500 hundred dollars since deductable is 250 dollars .They asked for the receipt for the other microwave which was installed let 2014 .I did send them pics of damage but figured I wouldn't get any thing .Well yesterday got back home and check was in mail .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think the real question is how many new ponders your laying little seeds in the backs of their minds Keith
Nathan without a doubt. I have had a few people give me bids in the last week or two. They all go straight to the pond to see the fish. Besides my regular employees that give me a daily blow by blow of what's going on in the pond I have had plumbers, hardwood floor guys, concrete guys, and a whole host of other people take interest in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Took a look at my pond today and there is tons of floating algae. My guess if the weather stays warm enough eventually the pond will cycle and it will go away.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
You can also remove it with a net if it is loose enough or if it is more stringy then it can be twirled around a stick and pulled out that way too.
I get the loose type here in Canada as water is still pretty chilly. Have not fed my fish yet even though they have been swiming around "looking" as I think water still on cold side. Soon I will start feeding them on next warm day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Colleen. I think I have fed my fish 3 times so far this year. The problem is I don't really have any time to spend on the pond. When I go to my house in the morning my construction guys are there and they are aware of what I'm doing. I'm not comfortable fooling around with the pond when I expect them to be working hard. I figure the algae is eating up the ammonia so right now it's probably a good thing. I expect it to go away as the pond cycles. Already there is a lot less free floating algae and it is mostly a few large clumps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here is a picture I took today. All the floating algae has totally dissapeared on it's own. I didn't take out the smallest bit and it all went away on it's own. My pond has officially cycled!!
IMG_20170501_105635042 (1).jpg

Pretty amazing considering it has been in the low 40's for the last 4 days. I always thought bb needed temps of 55 degrees or more to survive?

Ask a Question