sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
With the strange weather we have had my pond cleared in March .It is so funny to watch it go from green and mucky to clear in one day .I love the surprise .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I must be getting old, was having trouble finding this thread.... Well its back to slave labor here, no more days off till next week.
My front little guppy pond is getting green water. Same thing every year cause that pond is shut down during winter and has to cycle again, Got to work on that,..

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I made all my ponds myself years ago. Last year I remade the bottom pond so it would be bigger. All my ponds are raised slightly above the ground so that when it rains, the rain water won't wash the ground dirt in, plus it views better and I can walk all around right next to the pond.
I glued the rocks together (on the outside of the pond) with the stuff from the hardware store called "Great Stuff" big gap filler. Its just the same as the stuff they sell at the pond shop for waterfalls, except its yellow and a fraction of the cost. You don't see the yellow foam at all cause I stuck real peat moss in between the rocks where the foam sealant (Great Stuff) is. I can't show you all the ponds at one cause their too big and spread out. (All ponds flow together) take a look and see, what do you think? The stuff works real good!

Good grief I think I found my first post. Back then I did not realize that everybody had a thread or what a thread was. I forgot to start in the welcome section cause I must have missed that section. I just got my first little computer, not really a computer, was one of those note book things... got rid of that and then got a lap top. But it worked and got me on here! Back then I was really just bumbling and stumbling around and I think I may have made some people mad...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
:(:confused::meh: I pulled out three floaters yesterday ie.... dead fish. They were some of the prettiest goldfish I had that were all born in the pond. I saw another one this afternoon. I'm not sure the problem......stuff falling in the pond from construction? I had to yell at my guys for cutting cement board right next to it the other day.... or the really wierd spring where it got warm and then really cold. I think my pond cycled and then all the bb died because it got so cold. Okay it's dawning on me the real reason you don't want to built a pond and have it sit in the middle of a construction project as it doesn't give you ample time to monitor it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about your fish. My pond went from 78F back down to 55F poor fish, poor bees, they have no clue what is going on. Even have frost damage on some of the plants.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sorry to hear but I had an incident when front porch was being done and I was here to monitor what went on but the you never know hit .They were almost done and I had been digging the hole for the new pond and decided it was safe to put in the liner but nope got the liner in a guy on the roof of the porch dropped or threw board off the roof and there it was sticking out of my liner .2x10's and liner don't mix .I caught one of my guys throwing pieces of bread in from his sandwich and lucky I caught it .I had to net the pond the pond of the bread on the bottom .It was the temporary pond until the other pond was done on the other side of the porch .That is when I put window screening over the pond and clamped it down to the edges of the preformed pond .lots of clamps and lots of rocks around the outside edge of the screening .The 101 uses for window screening was born then ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@CometKeith sorry for whatever happened to them and hope your other fish will be ok. My fish don't know what warmth is yet this year and neither do I. It has been unusually cold here.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sorry to hear about your fish. My pond went from 78F back down to 55F poor fish, poor bees, they have no clue what is going on. Even have frost damage on some of the plants.
Global warming! Ha haha
We had some snokin hot days last 12 days and glad it rained and cooled off to more normal temps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I pulled out another two today. I really feel it's the cold weather that killed the bb and I have no way of testing for ammonia etc. with not living there and having so little time there. For one all the algae cleared up and then it came back again so I'm thinking the bb all died and had to restart. Also I lost almost a foot of water last week because the temp pump setup started squirting the water short of the pond and some of the water was leaking out. Then it rained a lot... maybe ph affected it? Then I saw a large rust colored puddle right on the liner next to the pond today. Don't know where that came from but it looked pretty toxic.
IMG_20170513_113233637.jpg

If any got in the pond it would have not been nice. Here is a picture of the back of the property. They started the porches on Monday. We picked out cedar for the decking today. I just realized today the porches will block the view of the pond from our kitchen on the second floor unless you actually walk on the porch :( It got a lot warmer today and they said we will have decent temperaures for the next week. Hopefully everything cycles and it goes back to normal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Sorry to hear about your pond's rough patch.
I'm thinking it was because of "complications" during construction, but you're there.

Curious - why did you go with a steel frame for the deck?
That's not something regular carpenters can do.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A lot of builders are using steel here ,more stable and does not rot or burn and some cities want the frame to be steel .There is a show on hgtv that only builds the deck frame of steel

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
but wood rots bad here we are in a high humidity area .Steel warps with heat wood burns with heat .My neighbor know's that .She left her grill on and whole deck burned but steel frame only warped in a couple of spots I used 6x6's for my front porch but could have used 4x4's .Never understood that .The building department told me 6x6's were overkill .Makes you wonder

Ask a Question