My goldfish pond

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Garden on building a bog within your pond, using a porous material for its walls.
Called a barrier bog, I was thinking of doing one, decided to do a solid wall.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I haven't been on in a while... pond and fish are doing well. I did mess up my filter pump but figured out why. I took off the check valve by accident when I tool off my pre-filter. Didn't know why all those extra tubes were in the water! In the spring I'll fix it. Planning a trip to Japan next month with my family. Not sure if I can go Koi shopping! lol They know I'm super interested but don't know if we will have time to go to a Koi farm :(

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry you did a boo boo on your pump but good to know you can fix it.

My friends are in Japan right now on a group trip. They won't be koi shopping like you tho. Bet you will have a great time there and I hear it's beautiful!

Ad

Advertisements

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad you had a nice trip and good you got out of there before all this awful virus stuff hit. Sunshine is lifting my spirits here for the last several days but sure is chilly in the mornings. One thing here I like about our pretty much no ice weather is I get to see my fish every day of the year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Glad you had a nice trip and good you got out of there before all this awful virus stuff hit. Sunshine is lifting my spirits here for the last several days but sure is chilly in the mornings. One thing here I like about our pretty much no ice weather is I get to see my fish every day of the year!
Thank you!
Welcome back Keith!
Hope your fish are all doing good.
Thanks. So far they all look great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes I need a good dose of sunshine and that is supposed to make bad coronavirus go away... I need to work extra hard on my yard this year. That will take my mind off Wuhan Virus
Good luck with your yard Colleen! Hopefully it will be gone soon...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So it hit 77 degrees here today. Yay! I decided to spend part of the afternoon on the pond since I'm working from home lately. I added another pump to circulate water and vacuumed the bottom and filled the water to the top. Also I pulled out some brown sedges to make everything look nice. Unfortunately I did have to take out a dead Koi the other day. That was sad, but all the other fish look good. At some point I need to get my filter running, but need help so I'm waiting on that.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sorry about the loss of a koi, but happy to hear all the others look good :) We've had two gorgeous days of warm weather and the toads are trilling....love is in the pond. My 4 koi are all doing well and Cha Cha is gorging herself on toad eggs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Interesting.... my koi wont touch the toad eggs or tadpoles.
I know ! It's so weird, she is the only one who is eating them...kind of weird ....but as a chagoi, she's kind of a little piggie :) Of course, I guess I could be wrong, but she keeps going over to the area with the floating plants, where they are.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I took this picture Saturday. Now they are mostly at the bottom because it
got a lot colder. We received 2-3 inches of snow today! You can see 4 koi in the picture. Three on the left side and one In the front. The rest are all goldfish. There are a few more Koi in the pond you can’t see.
16D6196F-4A89-4B1C-881C-EBA203492B5D.jpeg

Ad

Advertisements

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You might be in for more snow tonight @CometKeith - I think it will miss us here in the northern 'burbs, but the city and south may get one last hurrah!
Lisa so we got snow but I refused to shovel because I saw it was going to get warmer in the afternoon. it was all gone by later that day... I still need to set up my filter but I need to figure out how to drain it first. The drain nozzle is very close to the cement floor in my garage and hard to put a bucket underneath it. I wish I would have raised it on blocks before we installed it! There is a threaded fitting at the nozzle but I need to go to HD to find something to fit on it and not thrilled about doing that trip right now!

Ask a Question