My goldfish pond

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Here are my 3 butterflies Keith. The ones I found at Walmart last Mar/Apr & kept in an aquarium till spring. I took my last butterflies for granted as their colors were amazing & I started naming them after the dragons in Game of Thrones. lol I might feed them more next year as they get used to people. There are 3-5 goldfish I mkoved from the lower pond with them otherwise they are babies that survived the wild pump ride from the lower pond. So far have left my lilies alone in that pond. Guessing they were 12-18" underwater in these pics. I love butterfly koi! Yours look great.

Attachments

• IMG_6941.JPG
    IMG_6941.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6943.JPG
    IMG_6943.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_6942.JPG
    IMG_6942.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_6944.JPG
    IMG_6944.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6945.JPG
    IMG_6945.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 98
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Nathan. That's cool the butterfly Koi are getting along good with the rest of your fish and plants. Do you think they have had any babies so far?
So far my butterflies have been working out good. I think it helps that a few of the goldfish actually have bigger bodies so it's not like the Koi are dominant yet. The platinum one is really easy to see and I guess the other one will be more noticeable as it gets bigger. My lilies are slowly losing their leaves but i'm hoping it's more weather related than anything else. It was really cold for a while before it hit the 90's the past week.
I have been looking to add a few nice shubunkins for the last month. I really want a few white, black, and red ones so I can see them more easily. Most of mine have dark blue or black combos with hints of orange. Also I seem to have mostly orange comets in my pond as all my black fish turned orange in the last year. Unfortunately a few of the younger really pretty coloration goldfish died when the construction was going on. This week I found some nice shubunkins on line from a seller in Iowa. I ordered 8 shubunkins and 3 sarrasa comets. I know it's quit a bit of fish to add but I think my pond can handle it pretty easily and If anything it may mean fewer babies down the road but that's okay. I can count about 6-8 babies right now that are around 1 inch long. I'll take some pictures when I get the new fish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Looking forward to your pictures of your new fish!

Completed the koi round up the other day. We had 27 babies, which is more then I thought...hard to count them when they're swimming around. Most of them were fairly dark, but there was an all orange one and some shiny metallic ones.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I wish I would have bought all Shubbies when I started as there are so many different neat color patterns of them. I have 6 but they are in amongst so many orange fish you can't hardly find them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hmm.... Tula the metallic ones sound interesting.......but I shouldn't add a regular Koi. I was on the fence if I should add one more Butterfly or some nice goldfish and decided for for now to add the goldfish. That's interesting how your Koi changed colors so much. My other koi was mostly silver with an orange head when I got him and a little black running down it's black. Someone said where I got him that it had a little blue highlight on it's body but I couldn't really see it. Now it's head is almost all black with just a small amount of orange and I'm noticing several obvious blue patches on it's body. Obviously I caught the fish buying bug because I have been checking the internet almost every day for fish that are available. I'm getting the goldfish on Wednesday and this will be it for now. It's interesting the place I'm getting them from sells primarily Koi and I looked up their web page and they don't have any goldfish for sale. Did I buy them out? Is that good or bad?

JW. I can see what your saying. Probably 30-40% of my fish are solid orange and I have never bought an orange fish. The babies I can see right now are all orange except for one. I'm hoping the new fish add to the diversity. I keep hearing about Addy's shubunkins and I want some that I can see from my second floor too!
Here is a picture I took this morning with the water line raised up.
IMG_20170925_073537870.jpg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I keep hearing about Addy's shubunkins and I want some that I can see from my second floor too!
You mean like these? I can see them from the house window, about 40 feet away and up the hill. I love my shubbies!
IMG_1414.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@addy1 , Your hubbies are beautiful !! I had some gorgeous ones and loved watching their flowing fins, before I made the switch to koi only.

Keith, Your pond area is really filling in and looks soft and natural :) I can see your platinum....very easy to spot!

Last night I was feeding my koi and was amazed at the beauty of the flowers by my pond. One of the zinnias is nearly as tall as me and I'm 5'10" ! A beautiful monarch butterfly was fluttering about and many bees landing on the flowers. It's been a lovely summer :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Tula. Well I got a refund for part of my order after it said it was shipped. They refunded me for the 3 sarasa comets and that's fine because I really wanted just the shubunkins and added a few more fish because of the cost of shipping, It's supposed to be cooler tomorrow so i hope they don't come in too hot. They are coming from Iowa. It's been in the 90's here 7 days in a row. Addy yes I want them with a lot of red and maybe black and white too. The pictures of them looked good but I didn't get to pick exactly the fish I wanted so you never know what gets shipped. Nathan, It seems like the orange ones are tough I agree. I lost a few fish during the construction, but never lost an orange one.

Ask a Question