My goldfish pond

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
I'm busy trying to figure if I have a leak or just evaporation due to lack of moisture in the air. Lol nothing obvious if there is a leak but close to shutting it down for winter so if there is one I'll chase it in spring. How is yours doing water wise Keith?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Addy. It's very hard buying fish when you can't see them in person. I spent a lot of time looking on line before deciding what to get. Overall I'm very happy with them. I think as they grow they will get even prettier.
Nathan, with all the heat and lack of rain the pond has steadily lost water all summer. I'm sure I don't have any leaks as everything is new but i do have two waterfall areas that help the pond lose water due to evaporation. I have pretty much figured out that it takes 100 gallons to raise or lower my pond one inch. So that being said I could lose a few inches a week with the lack of rain and hot weather or 200 gallons on the average per week. Has it been dry by you? All our grass is brown now even the really nice sod we put in a few months ago. I keep telling my wife it will come back so she doesn't get too upset about it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We went from being wet and lots of rain to nothing, just one inch since August. Everything is drying up, trees dropping their leaves due to the heat and dry.

At least the grass has quit growing as fast.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Rainy days!
IMG_20171011_173305803.jpg
IMG_20171011_173124183.jpg
IMG_20171007_183103771.jpg
IMG_20171007_181250257.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think I finally figured out what the two Koi I bought were. The silver looking one with the orange on it's head and blue patches on its side and black markings running down it's back is a Doitsu Blue Kujako, and the white one with yellow markings is a Lemon Hariwake. The Hariwake is on the bottom right and the Kujako is right above it. If anyone has another ideas about them I would be glad to hear them. I have been thinking of getting one more Butterfly....either a Sanke or Showa. Obviously I have an addiction! If I used any common sense I would see how these two do and go slow....
IMG_20171011_173212622.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bigger pond in the future?....................or are they the same sex...........lol I can see you posting next year, anybody want babies?
They are pretty, I am sticking with my shubbies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Addy. I think you are right! Totally forgot about Koi babies. Well I guess it's 50/50 the two Koi are the same sex right now. if I get one more I think the odds go to 3 out of 4 that two will be the same. I need to table the idea to keep adding more. I did go through a 5 year period where I didn't add any new fish and the total number of fish multiplied by almost 10 fold! I'll have to remember that...... Tula. I know Chagoi are considered the friendliest Koi are Ochiba like that too?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Tula. I know Chagoi are considered the friendliest Koi are Ochiba like that too?

I don't know for sure, although Chagoi and Ochiba's are very similar ....in fact I've read of them switching back and forth, in their coloration.

I laughed when I got my Ginrin Chagoi, saying she must be a feminist, very independent and easily spooked. Now 2 seasons later, she's calm and friendly :)

I think the name of an Ochiba has something to do with "falling leaves"....I'm always attracted to them, but don't have room for another koi in my pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@CometKeith do you have other pics of your Doitsu Blue? I have a butterfly Hariwake, it's white and orange, but I'm not sure if it's deep enough in shade to be called kikusui, cause I have one of those and its orange looks almost bright red

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My favorite koi, is a Chagoi :) My second favorite is an Ochiba.
I love what I read about the Chagoi, but it grows way too large for this pond

I love Ogons, I think they're very friendly! I have a GinRin Yamabuki and a GinRin Oranji Ogon, both are butterfly I need a GinRin Platinum butterfly Ogon

Ask a Question