My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
This is Cha Cha the Chagoi :) This picture wasn't taken this year, but shows her root bear color , which I love!

IMG_0399.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
This is Madame Butterfly.....who I later discovered should be Monsieur !! He was originally orange and black and turned this color, quite quickly, years ago. Although she's just a "pond mutt" from our local fish hatchery, she's my favorite.....I love her face and fins :)

IMG_0161.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
This picture shows all 4 of my koi and my avatar picture is Sumo, my other female. Sushi is the big orange and black one in the middle of this picture. I'm pretty sure I uploaded a video of the pond this summer...might be under the thread about what your pond looks like today.

IMG_1596.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tula. Your pond and fish are beautiful! The Koi look so graceful swimming around and the pond size is perfect for them. I really like your waterfall too!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Tula I saw your beautiful fish and pond yesterday, but I used up all my free time trying to edit/crop images of mine so I didn't get to post
I love love love your pond! I keep forgetting how many gallons is it? I thought 1000gls, then I read 1200gls, and recently someone said they thought your pond was 1700gls...so can you clear that up for me please? Reason why it's important to me, is cause I made you my point of reference and your pond with your 4 koi will determine how many fish I will keep next year
The PVC pipe return, is that the added filtration?

@CometKeith My fish are not easy to photograph! Imagine a pond where water surface moves fast, fish get very excited when I approach them and if that wasn't bad enough, the only time I can take pics I'm fighting glare of the sun reflecting in the water...so I will try to give you a general idea
20171016_174021.jpg
20171016_174141.jpg
20171016_174219.jpg
20171016_174227.jpg
20171016_174331.jpg
20171016_174358.jpg
20171016_174420.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Gemma , You have a beautiful variety of koi ! I especially love your yambuki long fin.....at least, that's what I think it is :) My pond is 1700 gallons. The PVC return is from the sand & gravel filter. We built it last Spring and hiding the barrel was a big job, next summer, I'll work on concealing the PVC pipe.

Although I'd love an ochiba ( very much ) my pond size is best limited to my four adults.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Gemma , You have a beautiful variety of koi ! I especially love your yambuki long fin......
Thank you!
Yes you are right it is a GinrinYamabuki Ogon butterfly, I got it last year he was so small and now he (I hope) is as long as my older koi, not as fat but just as long
The half silver and half orange is a sure re-home this Spring, it's growing very fast and round I'm thinking it's a female and the Sanke also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow Gemma. Those are fantastic! Thank you for posting those pictures. I think I know what some of them are, but would you mind letting me know the types of Koi you have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow Audioenvy. Those are gorgeous!! Did you get them as juveniles and see them grow? The colors and patterns are fantastic. I like the Showas the best but they are all great.

These fish are all fairly recently purchased (within the last year--most within the last two months). I believe I put my first fish in my pond in August 2016 and it was only 1000 gallons up until six weeks ago. I had a 2500 gallon Intex pool to hold the fish while I was building the pond this summer and that's when I started adding fish here and there including the large ones. The largest is 28 inches.

Next spring I'll be able to start feeding the fish at levels that will support growth so I'll be interested to see how much they grow next year.

BTW... my vote is you should definitely increase your pond size to 5000 gallons!! ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
This picture shows all 4 of my koi and my avatar picture is Sumo, my other female. Sushi is the big orange and black one in the middle of this picture. I'm pretty sure I uploaded a video of the pond this summer...might be under the thread about what your pond looks like today.

That really looks great! It looks bigger than 1700 gallons.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow Gemma. Those are fantastic! Thank you for posting those pictures. I think I know what some of them are, but would you mind letting me know the types of Koi you have?
Thank you!
I'm no expert either! I just learned last year that some koi have specific names, before then I used to go to the store and just pick the one that I liked best.
I also learned that some koi start out with one name as babies, then mature to become something else as their color or patterns changes, so I can tell you what they were sold to me as ...
So I have of course the Yamabuki and the Orenji Ogon, the Kikosui, a Shusui, Kin Kikokuryu, the Heriwake, the Sanke, the Matsuba and the rest I have no idea..the two Doitsu I won't ever get rid of. I wonder if they could be Doitsu Matsuba Oh and I'm sure you saw the two long fin Shubunkins

Ask a Question