My goldfish pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sorry to hear you lost it @CometKeith :( Is this the little one that was struggling initially, the last purchase? It could be it just wasn't able to tolerate the cold. I think @audioenvy has 2 little ones he brought inside.

Sorry to hear about that fish @CometKeith.

Yes I brought two 5" fish inside (not sure what I was thinking just putting them in the big pond to fend). They are over 10" long now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, that's amazing growth! When will you reintroduce them to the pond, at what water temperature?

Probably in May or when the water is consistently above 60 degrees. The water in the main pond is 51 degrees now--not bad. The inside tank is 73 so it's better for growth feeding--but I just bowled them and noticed they are a bit chunky for their length so I think I'll ease up on the feeding. I'm assuming they will be over 12 inches by May.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hmmm.... Thanks all! I opened my computer and found 11 messages! ...not much to do when there is just a small hole in the ice. The Koi I lost was a Hariwake. It was my favorite and the first Koi I purchased so it is quite sad :( I have two others. The last one I purchased as far as I know is still doing okay.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Tula. I'll need to look into one. It's been consistently very cold this year and the pond has frozen over several times even with the new aerator I bought.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hi Tula. I'll need to look into one. It's been consistently very cold this year and the pond has frozen over several times even with the new aerator I bought.

@addy1 , @MitchM and others use a Pond Breather, with good results. I run one, along with my airstones....but my pond is covered. It's been a harsh winter for many of us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Addy and Tula. I ordered one from Amazon today. I don't quite know how it works but I guess I'll figure it out when it arrives. I was able to get a small hole open in the ice today where the aerator is located, but I'm sure it will freeze up again if we get very cold temps again so it's probably good to get the breather going asap.

Ask a Question