My goldfish pond

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
problem is, any log I'd find would probably not already be in water but on land.
100% understand! I just was surprised by the fact that wood that is completely submerged won't decay - or at least not at a noticeable pace. Your creations are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! You'd find a big market for those if you ever wanted to sell them. We went to a flea market and bought a piece of drift wood for $50. The guy had TONS of it - he said he would just drive to the U.P. every few weeks and fill a trailer full and bring it back home. There's definitely a market for beautiful pieces of wood.

brokensword

Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
100% understand! I just was surprised by the fact that wood that is completely submerged won't decay - or at least not at a noticeable pace. Your creations are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! You'd find a big market for those if you ever wanted to sell them. We went to a flea market and bought a piece of drift wood for $50. The guy had TONS of it - he said he would just drive to the U.P. every few weeks and fill a trailer full and bring it back home. There's definitely a market for beautiful pieces of wood.
trust me, if I hadn't screened everything in and limited space, I'd definitely have done a road trip to the UP and looked for driftwood. Funny how when you have all the elements everything looks natural but eliminate one and you surely notice! But yeah, a hollow driftwood log would have been perfect but I'm not that lucky--I tend to make what I need, saving time and $$.

Thanks for the compliment. I almost hated submerging the logs, knowing they'd be covered in algae and anything I did probably would be minimized but I also wanted this to happen; saved me having to 'paint' on any moss, green patches, etc. It's this darn underwater cam that's making me obsessive about my 'view', I notice! And since my hornwort never seems to take off, I even got some fake plants to help out until I can promote the hornwort (which, surprisingly, is doing gangbusters this year! Go figure!).

brokensword

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I too will be anxiously awaiting your e-bay listing - LOL !
Geez! Like I'm not busy enough! Ha. Tell you what, figure out what shipping would be from Mi of something about 8' long, 12" wide and perhaps 10lbs, and then ask. It's seriously not that hard, peeps! The heat-shrink plastic forms both bark like texture and covers all the glued-on stump branches (cut off rounds of flex pvc, foam noodles, etc) to the main trunk (the pvc pipe--something light weight for drainage at HD or Lowe's). Paint, seal, voila! Instant faux tree! I'd do a stump but I haven't room for something like that anymore. Though, I toyed with the idea for a fairy garden stand...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Utoh we are all being project shamed......................get doing it yourself!

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing...................I am so far behind weeds everywhere (I pretend the bees like them all which most of the time they do) say in the fall all will die. Round up the poison ivy that is on steroids................. The last thing on my list, at this time, is to make some neat fake wood.

Running a big fix up project here, have a contractor but his crew, great workers, always have ??'s about this that. Helping my neighbor, ie running, her kitchen redo. We have done around 12 kitchens, she has never done one. So helping her make decisions arrangement of cabinets, panty flooring granite etc.

Too busy to even think.

Then when they are done reloading the garage, our van is full of tools, the other stuff on tables out of the garage covered with tarps. Want to have it ORGANIZED when put back. (hubby is a dumper) Want two cars to fit in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
laughing...................I am so far behind weeds everywhere (I pretend the bees like them all which most of the time they do) say in the fall all will die. Round up the poison ivy that is on steroids................. The last thing on my list, at this time, is to make some neat fake wood.

Running a big fix up project here, have a contractor but his crew, great workers, always have ??'s about this that. Helping my neighbor, ie running, her kitchen redo. We have done around 12 kitchens, she has never done one. So helping her make decisions arrangement of cabinets, panty flooring granite etc.

Too busy to even think.

Then when they are done reloading the garage, our van is full of tools, the other stuff on tables out of the garage covered with tarps. Want to have it ORGANIZED when put back. (hubby is a dumper) Want two cars to fit in.
Hi Addy good luck with that! So here are two pics. The second one shows the bog on the left. It was looking pretty good on Saturday but unfortunately someone fell in it yesterday!! We discovered it because we saw our downstairs neighbor picking glass out of it! Kinda an unusual sight!!! Fortunately she was okay! .... she missed a step tripped and stumbled about 15 feet before landing in the bog. Fortunately she didn’t stumble into the pond itself!
2E070391-BF7C-4662-A325-B66254C7558D.jpeg

5101FBE1-2EB4-4C2E-89CC-37EA09DE8607.jpeg

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh my word ! Glad she wasn't injured.

Pond and bog look beautiful ! My bog plants are starting to take off, still have algae, but string algae in pond is greatly improved.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh my word ! Glad she wasn't injured.

Pond and bog look beautiful ! My bog plants are starting to take off, still have algae, but string algae in pond is greatly improved.
Thanks Tula. Our downstairs neighbor had his parents over for a barbecue. It was actually his mother that fell in! I guess she is okay other than a cut on her hand and wet pants and a guess a little embarrassed! Re bog and pond. My bog was looking so nice on Saturday until a few things that got crushed by the accident. I put in some impatents and they really like it in the bog. That sounds good about your string algae. Do you think your pond just cycled?

oh my gosh. Glad she is OK.
Thanks Cas. We have two apartments below us. We had to relet the basement unit and were a little leery of families with small children because of the pond. I never thought an adult would fall in! Thankfully she just fell in the bog but if direction took her a little straighter from where she missed the step she could have easily landed in the pond!
Of course I can’t resist posting one more pic I took this evening.
06D48094-7AE7-4B3D-B3D9-59B68D90656A.jpeg

Last edited:

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Regarding adults falling into the pond.... I've had a couple of close calls of almost going head first into the pond. ;)

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So I went to go visit my friend @ToneDude this weekend. He showed me all the cool equipment he was buying to build a skippy filter. I was pretty impressed and think it will come out great! So Tony you definitely should start a thread under pond construction and share some pictures of what you are building :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So my pond and yard is soooo boring this year. There is nothing for me to do! All the fish are healthy. I lost one small goldfish over the winter that got stuck in the bog otherwise they are all fine and growing. No special projects like last year removing a giant sedge or building a bog. I haven’t spent any money this year on equipment and no new Koi this year since I feel I have more than enough. Also no new landscaping. The cherry tree we bought last year is doing well. So what next? Just relax and read by the pond or rip everything up and start over haha. I don’t think my wife would allow that! Its kinda sad that in all the years I have been ponding there was always a project I wanted to do for my pond and it looks like I ran out of them. Here are a few pics I took this evening From different angles on our rear deck.
BC36477A-D0AC-4370-A92B-7DB6AB9FB1DA.jpeg
EAEEF5AD-7120-4DD9-8C6F-ABCC19F018E2.jpeg
35EC95BD-5507-4782-A224-B9093E3CFA5E.jpeg

Ad

Advertisements

brokensword

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So my pond and yard is soooo boring this year. There is nothing for me to do! All the fish are healthy. I lost one small goldfish over the winter that got stuck in the bog otherwise they are all fine and growing. No special projects like last year removing a giant sedge or building a bog. I haven’t spent any money this year on equipment and no new Koi this year since I feel I have more than enough. Also no new landscaping. The cherry tree we bought last year is doing well. So what next? Just relax and read by the pond or rip everything up and start over haha. I don’t think my wife would allow that! Its kinda sad that in all the years I have been ponding there was always a project I wanted to do for my pond and it looks like I ran out of them. Here are a few pics I took this evening From different angles on our rear deck.View attachment 139887View attachment 139889View attachment 139890
you want a project? ...I don't see any underwater footage...jus' sayin' ;)

Ask a Question