My koi are spawning!

Reaction score
I woke up to this mess this morning:

CIMG2789.jpg

If you see this, it's a sure sign that there's some hanky panky going on. I see everyone after Big Alice, as she is full of eggs. I drop a few spawning mops in and within 30 minutes they were covered with eggs:

CIMG2790.jpg

The whole pond of fish were having a major orgy. Females that didn't even have eggs were being hunted down by males. Well, I guess they love the new pond. ;-)

Reaction score
Mine started spawning 2 days ago and saw a few of smoking some cigarettes afterward. They tore up a bunch of the creaping jenny laying their eggs. Looking foward to seeing how many small fry I end up with.

Reaction score
Airic said:
....and saw a few of smoking some cigarettes afterward.

Ha! Ha Ha! Too funny....what an image.

I tossed the mop in the hatchery and set it in the pond. We'll see what kinda critters come outta Big Alice.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mine started spawning yesterday. I only have 2 females old enough but they were both bursting with eggs! I don't want any more babies!
My water tested perfect until yesterday. Ammonia levels at 1-2. Did a partial water change and cleaned the filters. Did the spawning cause this? I seem to remember seeing a post about stress elevating ammonia levels. I currently have 2 bio & mechanical filters running plus a bog.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I was just able to catch 3 small fish that are about 1 1/2" long. Looks like they have barbs at the mouth so Im hoping they are koi.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
mrsclem said:
Mine started spawning yesterday. I only have 2 females old enough but they were both bursting with eggs! I don't want any more babies!
My water tested perfect until yesterday. Ammonia levels at 1-2. Did a partial water change and cleaned the filters. Did the spawning cause this? I seem to remember seeing a post about stress elevating ammonia levels. I currently have 2 bio & mechanical filters running plus a bog.

Leave them alone and the bigger ones will thin them out in time.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sharon Goode said:
Will Koi only spawn in spring or summer or will they spawn at other times if kept inside with controlled temps?

Check out post#7 in "fish spawned, water must be fine" thread. As far as I am aware, as long as the fish are mature enough and water temperatures are appropriate, then there reasonably could be a good chance that they could spawn while kept inside with controlled temperatures.

Reaction score
several of my larger koi are full of eggs...I know I need to put something in for them to lay eggs...the net bag the pond people sell is 60 to 80 dollars. What could I improvise that I could turn inside out after they lay eggs, or do I just stand guard so I can keep the eggs from being eaten. :bye2: Also now that I see fat tummies how long does it usually take for them to lay? The bellies have just become apparent in the last few days Will get a bucket, air stone ready and wait...... My water is 70 degrees and in a climate controlled room. Maybe they think its spring......

Reaction score
Sharon Goode said:
several of my larger koi are full of eggs...I know I need to put something in for them to lay eggs...the net bag the pond people sell is 60 to 80 dollars. What could I improvise that I could turn inside out after they lay eggs, or do I just stand guard so I can keep the eggs from being eaten. :bye2: Also now that I see fat tummies how long does it usually take for them to lay? The bellies have just become apparent in the last few days Will get a bucket, air stone ready and wait...... My water is 70 degrees and in a climate controlled room. Maybe they think its spring......
Ill tell you what worked for me... Get a spool of yarn. I used green. Get an average size hardcover book. Now, wrap the yarn around the book a few dozen time. Now, cut the yarn and book free of the spool. Then cut the yarn that is wrapped around the book in half. All 30 strings at one time. Now you will have 30 pieces of yarn the same length, all in a bunch. Now take one of those pieces and tie it around the center of the rest of the pieces. This will give you a "mop". I attached this mop to a fishing bobber and let it float on the top. The mop strings will sink, and look like a plant. My fish knew what to do next. If you do not have a fishing bobber you could use anything that will float like a wine bottle cork or whatever. Once the fish lay the eggs and they get sprayed, you take the mop out and put it into its own tank.

Ask a Question