Not a koi but goldfish spawning?

Reaction score
This goldfish is huge and one side is larger than the other. She has been in one area for hours and then another area for hours but has been close to the plants. I thought she might be sick at first and then thought perhaps she was going to lay eggs. If I gently touch her she swims away. spawning fish.JPG I have no experience in this area so am looking for advice. Would love to have some babies but am afraid the other fish might eat the eggs once they are laid..or maybe they have been..not sure. Looked and don't see any signs of them. This activity has been going on for a few days now.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hmmm that's a little strange for her to go at it alone
the bigger on one side makes me wonder also

Reaction score
Well I was researching and saw a posting in video about the other fish following the one frantically around the pond and bumping against her. I certainly see the other fish following her around, but not frantically and I don't see anyone bumping against her while I'm looking.

Reaction score
the following what? What I said? What should I be watching for? Should she be moving from plant to plant for days or what? Once I see that they have been fertilized should I do anything or just leave it to nature? Educate me here :)

Reaction score
was trying to get a closeup of her..does this tell you anything? Didn't know if this looked like she was getting ready to lay eggs or it's nothing and I'm seeing things that aren't there :)fish closeup.JPG

Reaction score
Well we just redug the pond to take it from 800 to about 3,000 gallons recently after a heron gulped some of mine. Took it from 13" to 4'. I had eight fish before this and they never had babies. I now have about 24, but I have no idea if this is the only female or not, but she is new to the pond so maybe she came to me pregnant. Guess I will just keep watching her. How long do they take to lay eggs if they are going to do so? They definitely are not doing what your fish are doing and is what I saw online

Ask a Question