Female koi after spawning

Reaction score
Country
United States
First time with a spawn season. My koi have been busy! Its been 3 days now and i came home this afternoon to find one my koi just "sitting" in the water. Shes breathing but doesnt look like shes gonna make it....any ideas? Is this nirmal? Atrached picture of her current condition.

Attachments

• 1529447213491739191221.jpg
    1529447213491739191221.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 403
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
It's hard to tell from the picture, it appears she has pink streaks along her tail tube? My females recover after rough spawning, with good water conditions and plenty of aeration. Keep an eye on her....so you have an aerator running in your pond?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My koi in one pond spawned last week. I was sure the one female would die. She got beat up bad but the next day she was out swimming around like nothing happened. Spawning can be brutal. As Tula said, aeration and check your water for ammonia.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's hard to tell from the picture, it appears she has pink streaks along her tail tube? My females recover after rough spawning, with good water conditions and plenty of aeration. Keep an eye on her....so you have an aerator running in your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice!! Here is a picture of the aeration. I just did a 50% water change on sunday when i added the fountain. Now i see what yall mean by the smell!!! Whew!

Attachments

• 1529449864696726212604.jpg
    1529449864696726212604.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 346

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

How big is your pond and what kind of filtration do you have? How many koi do you have? That looks like a small pond and if those are all koi.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive had pond for 3 years and usually only had 3/4 koi. Last season i lost all but the one...so hubby said to only get feeder fish since it was gettung exoensive. Didnt really expect the survival of all of them. Im planning on putting in an additional pond in a couple weeks since they doing so well. It has been alot of trial and error....but seem to have finally gotten the hang of keeping water in good condition. With that beung said...not sure og the gallon capacity of pond but yes there are 10 koi about 4" and the 1 that is 2 years okd so its about 10" so i know i gave to expand soon.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Looks like your pond is a preform. Way too small for koi. If your largest is 10" now, they could be 18-20" by fall. Start digging and go twice as big as what you are planning.With 10 koi, you need to go big plus need to make room for babies!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thats the plan....splitting up into 2 ponds as well! Hubby not looking forward to it lol
Thanks again for the advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
My koi in one pond spawned last week. I was sure the one female would die. She got beat up bad but the next day she was out swimming around like nothing happened. Spawning can be brutal. As Tula said, aeration and check your water for ammonia.
Hey...shes moving around a little now!!! Thast great news

Ask a Question