My new completed pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Came out looking pretty sweet but a word of caution watch out for that lotus they can take over if you give them half a chance
Yea they are sending up at least one new leaf every day. Wonder when they will bloom.

@Gazzas pool it’s good that your water lilies are still blooming even with only part sun. My pond gets like 8 hours of direct sun but I’m going to plant some trees nearby in the fall so was worried about the shade not allowing my lotus to bloom but looking at yours is encouraging. I assume water lily and lotus need same amount of sun to bloom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I only get about 6 hours of sun on my lotus and I'm getting my second bud of the year. Sure the leaves lean toward the sun, but it still blooms.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yea they are sending up at least one new leaf every day. Wonder when they will bloom.

@Gazzas pool it’s good that your water lilies are still blooming even with only part sun. My pond gets like 8 hours of direct sun but I’m going to plant some trees nearby in the fall so was worried about the shade not allowing my lotus to bloom but looking at yours is encouraging. I assume water lily and lotus need same amount of sun to bloom.
I've seen posts or maybe on Google search that lilies require a minimum of between 3 n 4 hours full sun so by putting the planter box at the sunniest end of my little pond. The flowerheads make their way to the top, increase in size for a few days and then open on the next sunny day. They came up a few weeks after the first 8pads in each bunch settled on the top. I've had 3 flowers b4 those 2 and there's one more on the rise, don't know if that will be it. The flowers only last 3 to 5 days then they wilt without opening even in full sun, so I snip them off along their stem. My brother has a small pond that's a bit deeper than mine in full sun, gets quite a bit of algae but his fish are reaping the benefit and are looking like koi their so big, but alas his lilies are plentiful but small and haven't bared flowers

Reaction score
Country
United States

We got one last year had tons of leaves, zero blooms. This year I decided that if it doesn't then its out!
Luckily its thrown out three buds, haven't seen them open yet so no idea what they look like :shame:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good luck, it'll happen, what sort of weather ya getting? :)
We got one last year had tons of leaves, zero blooms. This year I decided that if it doesn't then its out!
Luckily its thrown out three buds, haven't seen them open yet so no idea what they look like :shame:
Proberbly a couple of more days for these two which are opening before the sun is on them directly, bet my brother will be gealous, though his fish make up for it

Attachments

• IMG_20210721_081127.jpg
    IMG_20210721_081127.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 46
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sorry, I’ve been a little inactive since my pond has been going so well that there was nothing really to ask and I’ve also been super busy at work and at home in my other part of my gardens. But yea the lotus put out just one bloom this year. I only fertilized it once so maybe that’a why it didn’t bloom more. Planning to divide them next spring. My nymphoides bloomed a lot this year.

8E479727-A955-4161-9ADA-19E3A46F1545.jpeg

8E5BAC85-4DD9-4A2C-B442-AF4E08C504F9.jpeg

298500CB-9D3B-47CD-8087-93A6B38DA919.jpeg

Last edited:

Ask a Question