My new goldfish pond build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Tula. We are actually one of 5 greystone two flats that were all built at the same time in a row and at one time all had the exact same floor plans. Over time they have all been changed. One next to us was converted to a single family and the one on the other side of is too. Did you think about grasses? There are some really pretty ones that you look nice all winter and you just need to cut them in the early spring. Also with hydrangeas you can leave them until early winter before you need to cut them. Thanks Sissy. We didn't put in shrubs in the front yet. We will probably do shrubs in the fall. I started to arrange the limestone pavers around the front of the pond. At first I had been thinking about doing rocks but then decided to use what I had. I think it's coming out nice. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@CometKeith , I love grasses :) I have a massive one and a big butterfly bush, behind this bed. We also have some big grasses, on the side of our house and a clumping bamboo.

I'm not as in love with knock out roses as I used to be, but since I have them, I'll give them a chance. Good point on hydrangea offering winter interest......birdies need a place to sit, while they wait their turn at the feeder !

Fall is a good time of year to plant shrubs.........what are you considering?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lisak. Our daughter is a process engineer with one of the largest manufacturer companies in the world. They flew her to Warsaw Poland first class for a few days just so she could see something good they were doing in one of their plants. When she started someone suggested maybe because she is petite and only 23 that when she talked to guys on the manufacturing floor to act a little dumb so they would be nicer to her. That's not her personality at all so naturally she didn't do that!
I'm so glad she didn't. What a crappy suggestion that would have pissed me off. :mad::mad::mad:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Tbendl. Yup. We are going with a lot of grass. it will be cheap and can always change it later and I like grass too. To me part of the fun of having a pond is seeing all the wildlife it attracts and I think grass is better for that. We do have a lot of rabbits by us. Maybe I won't have to mow the grass if they keep coming around! Here is a picture I took yesterday. I have been setting limestone pavers and evening off the ground around the pond so it's at the same height. Also I have been finally cutting the excess liner.
IMG_20170726_201302269_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Lisak. Our daughter is a process engineer with one of the largest manufacturer companies in the world. They flew her to Warsaw Poland first class for a few days just so she could see something good they were doing in one of their plants. When she started someone suggested maybe because she is petite and only 23 that when she talked to guys on the manufacturing floor to act a little dumb so they would be nicer to her. That's not her personality at all so naturally she didn't do that!
lol I would think they'd respect her more if she gave them a little sas back instead of acting dumb

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
We bought bagged mulch this year for the first time in many years. As we get more and more of the yard planted, it gets harder and harder to get the wagon where I need it to dump. It's easier to carry a bag than it is a bucket!

I just learned of a program in our area (and maybe nationwide - I'm not sure) called Chip Drop. You sign up and then the next time an arborist or tree cutting firm is in your area and needs somewhere to dump, they bring them to you. Sounded great, so I signed up. It's not nice finished mulch like we usually buy, but I figured hey! It's free! I have lots of areas that always need mulch!

That was late one night... the next morning I get an email that explains the program. Well, they probably explained it when I signed up, but like I said IT WAS LATE! The fine details say that the drop could be anywhere from 4 yards to FIFTEEN YARDS! WOW! AWESOME!

But when I tell my husband the great news, he starts laughing. I mean REALLY LAUGHING. He said "you know 15 yards is THREE TIMES MORE than we've ever had delivered, right?" Uh... it is? I leave the numbers to him! THAT'S TOO MANY WOOD CHIPS! So I hopped back on the computer and cancelled my order... hopefully in time! I have this nagging fear that we will round the corner to our house one day and have a GIANT pile of wood chips in the driveway! (Actually, the house next door is vacant... I wonder if I should just sign up to have them drop a load next door...haha!) Honestly, if we had the room to just pile them up and leave them, I would do it. They'd be great to use now, but even better once they were aged and starting to break down.

So if any of you is adventurous and has a great spot to store a pile of wood chips the size of a mini van, check it out and see if it's available in your area! The kicker is (well, other than that 15 yard detail!) you don't know when - or even if - they will come. It's very much dependent on what's going on in your area. I'm guessing with all the storms we have had here in the Chicago area and surrounding communities that the tree people are going to be chipping like mad though!
It's free & usually not that bad depending on removals that day I would guess. In Chicago area I would guess it would be a variety. Never heard of the program ironically since my brother is an arborist

Ask a Question