My new goldfish pond build

Discussion in 'Pond Construction & Equipment' started by CometKeith, Aug 22, 2016.

1. CometKeith

IPA

63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
    Is that the garage or the house in the picture? I am always confused because when I see the balcony I keep thinking it is the house, and if it is the garage it's very nice also. At first I thought you were taking pictures with a drone and why I always thought the building in the picture was the house.

IPA, Aug 22, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. CometKeith

CometKeith

Hi IPA, That's the garage. It's an old Chicago style red brick garage. At one time it was probably a commercial garage because there are old water lines and a drain in the floor.The parapet walls are about 16 ft high. We gutted the garage and ran all new electric including LED canned lighting in the ceiling. It has new windows, a tear off roof, and was extensively tuckpointed. One interior side is exposed brick and the other side is drywall. It has two new insulated garage doors including a 16 ft door and an 8 ft door. We ran a 200 amp panel for the basement and garage so it has plenty of power available if needed.
    Here is a picture of the 2nd floor deck we sit on. I'm here right now and can hear the waterfalls from the pond as I work on my laptop.
    IMG_20170819_203341277.jpg
    Well I'm hoping the Koi and goldfish together work out. I have always liked goldfish but the Koi really intrigues me. They are very quick in the pond and extremely active. Also the platinum color and pretty fins and tails makes them really stand out. I'm not into a lot of work for the pond so I hope it won't be that much extra to take care of.

CometKeith, Aug 23, 2017
    addy1, sissy, Tula and 1 other person like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. CometKeith

j.w I Love my Goldies

That's a very inviting setup there Keith! Looks so nice and peaceful out there. Oh the ambience of it all :happy:

j.w, Aug 23, 2017
    CometKeith and addy1 like this.
  4. CometKeith

CometKeith

Thanks JW. My wife is the brains behind all the decorating. We just got back from a weekend trip to Door County Wisconsin. We found a bunch of nice rocks for the waterfall while we were there. They are not too big and have rounded edges.

CometKeith, Aug 28, 2017
    j.w, sissy and addy1 like this.
  5. CometKeith

sissy sissy

Funny how ponders get addicted to rocks .I want some of the big glass boulders yet .They are made from recycled windshield glass from the junkyard .

sissy, Aug 28, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
  6. CometKeith

CometKeith

Okay. Well I threw in the rocks into my waterfall the other day when it was getting dark. It still needs a lot of work but I'm happy with the rocks we "found".
    IMG_20170829_152739599.jpg

CometKeith, Aug 30, 2017
    IPA, Tula, j.w and 2 others like this.
  7. CometKeith

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Looking like a pond!

addy1, Aug 30, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
  8. CometKeith

sissy sissy

By spring next year everything will fill in and look like it has always been there

sissy, Aug 30, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
  9. CometKeith

j.w I Love my Goldies

I see many happy days and nights ahead by your peacefully calming pond :)

j.w, Aug 30, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
  10. CometKeith

CometKeith

Thanks JW,Sissy, and addy. It' slowly getting there. Over the weekend I "finished" the waterfall. I cut the extra liner behind it, extended one of the hoses so the water came out of the right place, and mulched behind it and added some side rocks. Most of the rocks in the middle came from our recent trip to door county. I'm sure there will be many more rebuilds in the future until I am truly happy with it :) IMG_20170904_182550947.jpg IMG_20170904_182635352.jpg

CometKeith, Sep 5, 2017
    cas, Tula, IPA and 1 other person like this.
  11. CometKeith

j.w I Love my Goldies

You are one happy new home and pond owner and the pond is looking better every day w/all your new additions. Your neighbors will be wanting one for their yards. Actually they could just put a little patio and chairs and table right on the edge of their yard and yours and enjoy yours for free!

j.w, Sep 5, 2017
    addy1 and CometKeith like this.
  12. CometKeith

IPA

63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
    Looks great!

IPA, Sep 5, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
  13. CometKeith

Lisak1

I love this view of the pond! It's one of my favorite ways to get photos of my pond - from the second floor window. Everything's looking great @CometKeith !

Lisak1, Sep 5, 2017
  14. CometKeith

CometKeith

Thanks JW, IPA, Addy. Slowly it's coming into shape. I have also been working on the backyard landscaping and other house related things so sometimes it takes a backseat to other stuff. I have been working on the edging lately to try to have it all at the same level so I can raise the water up as much as possible to hide the liner. I took this picture about a week ago and since then have raised the water up 3 or 4 inches. You can see my platinum Koi front and center showing off! IMG_20170910_111730031.jpg

CometKeith, Sep 25, 2017
    PossumsDad and j.w like this.
  15. CometKeith

j.w I Love my Goldies

That white koi is a beauty and knows it (y)

j.w, Sep 25, 2017
    CometKeith likes this.
  16. CometKeith

CometKeith

Thanks JW. That butterfly is very social with the other fish and always busy swimming around. The other Koi seems more interested in food than other fish. I don't now if it's possible, but the goldfish in the pond seem to have gotten a lot more active since I put the two Koi in the pond.

CometKeith, Sep 26, 2017
    j.w likes this.
  17. CometKeith

j.w I Love my Goldies

@CometKeith maybe the goldfish fear the big fish and are running for their lives :LOL:

j.w, Sep 26, 2017
  18. CometKeith

CometKeith

JW. That's funny. Some of my goldfish are actually bigger than the Koi if you don't factor in the fin and tails. The platinum one sometimes goes after my largest shubunkin but they all get along.

CometKeith, Sep 27, 2017
    j.w likes this.
  19. CometKeith

Perfect Ponds

a great pond install, this pond is also looking amazing

Perfect Ponds, Jan 17, 2018
  20. CometKeith

JamieB

That is an inspiration! If it wasn’t for the dogs, water snakes, raccoons, weasel, and other predators in the area, I’d try and do an in ground pond. I may still do one in the future, just berm the sides to prevent it from washing out all the fish if it floods. The sad thing about where my pond is, I have to go out to it to see it. Near the house, there’s just no good place for one.

JamieB, Jan 20, 2018
    sissy likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question