My new goldfish pond build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks IPA and welcome! It looks like you are new here. By any way does IPA stand for India Pale Ale? If so we have a lot in common because I enjoy craft beer a lot. If you want to see more about my pond check out the thread below. It started in 2010 and has a lot of pictures of our recent construction project.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/my-goldfish-pond.6742/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hmmm. I hope I don't get a lot of cross breeds. I have met people in the Chicago area that have one or two Butterfly Koi and mostly goldfish and it works out well. Lisak, Is your Koi a lot larger than the goldfish? That's interesting you don't have baby Koi. I have noticed my Koi chasing the goldfish already, so he likes the ladies! Addy, i know you just have goldfish. The problem is my primary viewing area is our second floor porch. Also I see them from our third floor.The Koi is much easier to see than the goldfish when we are higher up. I'm thinking of getting one more. Maybe a nice yellow and black one.... Tula, Your pond sounds really nice. i'm sure the fish are happy if they keep having babies!
Here is a picture I took this afternoon. We decided just to put in black mulch where the pavers were going to go to cut costs and wait on the project until next year. My wife is not happy with it so we set an appointment with a landscaper tomorrow to discuss putting pavers there instead.
IMG_20170818_185526419.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - the koi are considerably larger than the goldfish. Never any koi babies. They do spawn - this year was a big year for pond romance. Every time we had a rainstorm (and we had LOTS of those this year) they were doing their thing. But the goldfish follow behind and eat all the eggs.

Here's a picture from earlier this summer - the koi on the bottom left is one of the largest. The big orange one to the right is one of our biggest comets. They all get along just fine. You can even see our one fat fantail just above the lily to the right. That one holds her own as well - she has disappeared half a dozen times and we always think she's dead and then BOOM she's back. No clue where she hides out, but she's a survivor!

IMG_2207.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love what you have done so far the contrast of colors by the pond is amazing .You will enjoy it more each year .When do you plan moving in or have you gotten your C of O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lisak. Really nice pond and fish. Tula. I did get one more, but I'm done now with buying fish. Pictures to come.Thank's sissy. We are basically done with inspections except for one small correction and have moved in. Still getting the kinks out but we are enjoying the new home and our tenants are happy too. thank's JW. No I'll stay with cometkeith for now lol! It's a work in progress. I tried moving some heavy limestone to the waterfall area yesterday. They look so small in the picture, but I'm still feeling it now. I did build a lower ledge in the water when we dug the pond so I built up some rocks there too. It's still very much a work in progress, but here is a picture of what I did so far. btw. I took this at the height of the eclipse. It was cloudy here and not much to see so I went to check out the fish. They were really still.
IMG_20170821_132405264.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, i know you just have goldfish. The problem is my primary viewing area is our second floor porch. Also I see them from our third floor
Our primary viewing is from the house windows, 40 some feet away and around 40 or so feet in elevation. I can see our bigger shubunkins pretty decently. I would love to have some butterfly koi, they are so darn pretty. But my pond population is pretty stable the water stays great, the lilies are not bothered, not worth it to me to add a unknown.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I love the location of the waterfall . I too think butterfly koi are beautiful, but have no room. I was watching my ginrin chagoi the other evening....she nearly comes out of the water to get food that floats onto the rocks and she's gorgeous !

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Lisak. Really nice pond and fish. Tula. I did get one more, but I'm done now with buying fish. Pictures to come.Thank's sissy. We are basically done with inspections except for one small correction and have moved in. Still getting the kinks out but we are enjoying the new home and our tenants are happy too. thank's JW. No I'll stay with cometkeith for now lol! It's a work in progress. I tried moving some heavy limestone to the waterfall area yesterday. They look so small in the picture, but I'm still feeling it now. I did build a lower ledge in the water when we dug the pond so I built up some rocks there too. It's still very much a work in progress, but here is a picture of what I did so far. btw. I took this at the height of the eclipse. It was cloudy here and not much to see so I went to check out the fish. They were really still.View attachment 103469
Is that the garage or the house in the picture? I am always confused because when I see the balcony I keep thinking it is the house, and if it is the garage it's very nice also. At first I thought you were taking pictures with a drone and why I always thought the building in the picture was the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi IPA, That's the garage. It's an old Chicago style red brick garage. At one time it was probably a commercial garage because there are old water lines and a drain in the floor.The parapet walls are about 16 ft high. We gutted the garage and ran all new electric including LED canned lighting in the ceiling. It has new windows, a tear off roof, and was extensively tuckpointed. One interior side is exposed brick and the other side is drywall. It has two new insulated garage doors including a 16 ft door and an 8 ft door. We ran a 200 amp panel for the basement and garage so it has plenty of power available if needed.
Here is a picture of the 2nd floor deck we sit on. I'm here right now and can hear the waterfalls from the pond as I work on my laptop.
IMG_20170819_203341277.jpg

Well I'm hoping the Koi and goldfish together work out. I have always liked goldfish but the Koi really intrigues me. They are very quick in the pond and extremely active. Also the platinum color and pretty fins and tails makes them really stand out. I'm not into a lot of work for the pond so I hope it won't be that much extra to take care of.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks JW. My wife is the brains behind all the decorating. We just got back from a weekend trip to Door County Wisconsin. We found a bunch of nice rocks for the waterfall while we were there. They are not too big and have rounded edges.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Funny how ponders get addicted to rocks .I want some of the big glass boulders yet .They are made from recycled windshield glass from the junkyard .

Ask a Question