Building goldfish pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am finally moved into my new home and with spring in the air I am looking to build a small goldfish pond. Many years ago in my other home I had a large goldfish pond but got tired of battling raccoons herron etc.. so I just gave it up. I am detremined to make a area of my property that i can go to and relax and watch the goldfish. So, I have a old woodshop that i'm turning into a hobby room and off to the side of it there is about 10-15 tree's. I cleared out all the brush, and leaves etc where it had not been kepth up before. I have about a 10 ft x 8 ft open area in this area of trees and I want to make my pond paradise here. I want to have about a 100 gallon top pond that flows down into a 30 gallon bottom pond and return water flow back to the top pond. What i'm trying to do is build a figure out a design for a bio filtration filter. I plan to surround the pond with pea gravel and slate for a walkway around the area with a bench to relax by the pond. So let me have it. I figure im going to push it by putting the pond around a cluster of trees and then theres the whole bio filtration thing that i got to figure out. I currently have a 1 year old 200 gph pump, a 100+ gallon preformed pond liner and a 30 gallon bottom pond. I thought about using the 30 gal bottom pond as sort of a bog filter. Input?? Any ideas or suggestions to do this right are certainly welcomed. Thanks for having me in the forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome to the forum, Patrick! I'm not sure what zone you are in, but 100 gallons for goldfish is not very large, and I would assume you will be bringing the fish inside for winter, or maybe you don't have a winter. Lots of issues to deal with either way, as 100 gallons will freeze fast, and also heat up fast if you are in a southern zone.
As far as the two "ponds" you already have, if you want the 30 gallon to be a bog, I would suggest you place it higher than the 100 gallon pond. Fill it with pea gravel, run your water line in and to the bottom of that 30 gallon bog, so that it filters up through the gravel and plant roots, and overflows back into the 100 gallon pond. Not sure how it could be used as a bog if it was below the other pond.
Having a pond in and among multiple trees is going to cause you LOTS of problems with leaf litter, unless you cover it during that time of the year. Again, I have a feeling you will empty the ponds for winter (if you have winter ...) so maybe the leaves are not an issue.
Your pump should work just fine, as long as you keep the two ponds close to each other. If it's not strong enough, might want to go a little bigger.
Good luck!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and ponds are great and knowing you are already addicted you will end up going bigger and bigger .:)It just happens we have no clue why but it does ;).If you have a harbor freight near you they have good pumps at great prices ,I still have a couple of them that are still over 11 years old and use them for my U.v.'s and my stock tanks .If you are into energy costs laguna sells great low energy pumps .I agree though you will need a bigger pump

Ask a Question