water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
dang addy, what else are you hiding out in that bush gardens of yours

I second I like the drift wood It would make a great cap to a stone or block wall

Lots of stuff hiding out there, I find items I have forgotten about.

I don't have stone or block walls here. The driftwood has moved around over the summer. I had it on the edge of the deck pond, the ground hogs kept knocking it down. For winter I am moving it up so it does not sit buried under snow, if we have snow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I know not all rock is the same density and hardness, so that being said, which type rock have you used?

I have only worked with texas moss rock on all my projects as it is the most price effective option and looks most at home in this region. Moss rock is basically sandstone with limestone deposits occasionally mixed in. Being sandstone makes it very easy to drill through as it does not have a high density. However, while shopping for bits there are a wide variety out there built for all stone. But if you were going to be drilling through something like granite I would imagine a more powerful drill would be needed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never saw that kind of rock here .I get to pick from what the farmers pull from the fields and stack out by the road and free for the taking and looked at lots of streams around here but just the normal grey or black stones and once in awhile a brown stone or slate and even some coal.I am only 15 minutes from the NC border

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very pretty @ROW FISH . How nice of you to do this for your parents. I like the bubbling rock! I hope your back has recovered.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So too answer the several inquiries on by how my back is doing. After several weeks of PT I am for the most part up and going without too much issue. I have had back problems since I was a senior in high school and they have unfortunately gotten worse with age, as expected. I had an MRI performed and we discovered that I had 2 herniated disks in my lower spinal column which were pinching my sciatic nerve and shooting pain down my right leg.

So through several weekly PT appointments and the use of a back brace and performing several daily stretches the pain has slowly been mitigated and I am almost back up and running fully speed again.

I will just have to keep it in mind and be more careful on future projects of this size.

Thanks for all the concern guys.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Glad to hear your back is better - back problems are the worst. I learned the hard way - several times - what my limits are and try to be very careful. For the most part I can do most anything I want to, but have to be aware of lifting too much weight. As my son said "you're strong for a girl, mom. Good for two man boulders - useless for three man!"

Ask a Question