My Next Project (THIS ONE IS BIG!!!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I wish we could get rocks like that here ,but all we get in river rocks is grey

I had never seen these available before. Otherwise, I would have used them in the pond at my house. All I have seen in the past is the black/dark grey Mexican beach pebbles. Which are not only "boring" in color, but also very expensive.

Out of the 5 rock and landscape supply places that I called around my parents area this was the only location that offered the "colored river stone" in a variety of grades. And it was decently inexpensive at 15 cents a pound. Note that the Mexican beach pebbles are 35 cents a pound for comparison.

I will definitely be making a trip back down there to get several buckets full to incorporate into my pond and a new fountain feature that I am installing in my front yard once the weather cools down a bit more.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got alot of my stones free from the Cherokee reservation in Cherokee NC .Chief Hicks said I could have as many as I want .He and his family are really nice people

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
should have a video of them when they saw it
Unfortunately it was dark and slightly raining when they got home. I had intended to take a video as many of you requested otherwise.

The way we presented it was to turn off all the lights in the back yard and walk them back there. They heard water running but assumed it was the pool running. They were initially confused when I turned the lights on and they saw the feature. Then in awe and gratitude.

What I found most funny was that my dad admitted that he was initially upset when he drove up to see 3 cars in the drive way. He had thought that we had come over and thrown a pool party while they were gone and that people were still here. He felt bad for assuming that after seeing the truth.

However, to be fair I am guilty in the past on 2 circumstances of throwing a "small" 6-8 person pool party at their place when they are out of town. Hopefully this made up for it. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It's is beautiful. How do you make a bubbling rock? I am thinking drilling through would take forever.
You have to use a decently powerful drill and a diamond core bit. It was not too difficult to do. Time to setup and drill was 10min top. I was just careful to give the drill a break every few inches and hit the rock and bit with water to cool it off.

I ordered the core bit off of Amazon and it cost about $35

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did a couple of rocks and just make sure it is a electric drill .I used my friends hammer drill .Not easy but it is worth and I broke a few rocks because I tried to go to fast

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I did a couple of rocks and just make sure it is a electric drill .I used my friends hammer drill .Not easy but it is worth and I broke a few rocks because I tried to go to fast

YES it is important not to use a hammer drill as this can lead to cracking the boulder. Let the bit do the work for you and take it slow. I also placed a water hose next to the bit while i drilled to help with the heat transfer to avoid cracking. It also helps to have a guided handle on the drill. I should post a video as I am going to be making a few more.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep the handle does work great but make sure you wear gloves because boy can hat thing bring up a blister .I didn't half way through the first one and had to stop to grab gloves .Must be my girlie hands .;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wish we could get rocks like that here ,but all we get in river rocks is grey
sissy you should be able to get your hands on some Delaware river rock down there it usually has a good amount of red much like what row fish has

Ask a Question