my pond in Persian Gulf

Reaction score
It looks like your climate isn't too hot or dry? I live in a desert climate and am looking for plants that could be used around the pond and do well here.

Yes Sir , our weather is dusty dry hot climate , especially those days , its a desert weather as you mentioned,

but , dont forget , that the pond will add humidity and cool breeze to the surrounding area letting almost any tropical plant to live there if given proper sun protection and regular fertilization and watering.

mango , banana , grapes , pomegranate , some kind of apple ,Terminalia , berries , acasias , jacaranda , poinciana , buhinia , citrus trees .

but am sure you will like this

Plumeria Alba

(pic from WEB not mine )

MVC-318S.JPG

its very succesful on our area with huge clusters of white fragrant flowers.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I took this photo in Hawaii...........is this that same tree? They smell wonderful!

271.JPG

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Wow, not what you expect to see when you see the title to the thread. I guess so many impressions are left by news media that I was expecting to see sand and oil rigs. Not a tropical paradise. That's a really fine looking yard and pond. I love your selection of koi. Each is a very distinct color pattern not over populated and very tranquil setting. What is the one with the orange head, black back and white at the base of the tail? Beni Kumonryu? The Budo Goromo, and the Sushui are really nice and the Black and white,( Shiro Utsuri, or Kumonryo?) I really like it's color pattern. it's quite a different example of that class and I reaaly like it's total look. .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just beautiful, love that lily, too cold at my pond to have tropical's without bringing them in for the winter. You have one beautiful setting, just beautiful.

Reaction score
Wow, not what you expect to see when you see the title to the thread. I guess so many impressions are left by news media that I was expecting to see sand and oil rigs. Not a tropical paradise. That's a really fine looking yard and pond. I love your selection of koi. Each is a very distinct color pattern not over populated and very tranquil setting. What is the one with the orange head, black back and white at the base of the tail? Beni Kumonryu? The Budo Goromo, and the Sushui are really nice and the Black and white,( Shiro Utsuri, or Kumonryo?) I really like it's color pattern. it's quite a different example of that class and I reaaly like it's total look. .

Thanks mate for the nice words.
the first one is Beni Kumonryu as you said.
i have 2 shusui , the smaller one is much more attractive. i love it.
i have one hi utsuri and one shiro utsuri.i think one of the babies will be ki utsuri ( love that color )
and one small stunning kohaku.
i dont know why am not attracted to showas and sankes !

happy you liked my setting.

Reaction score
Just beautiful, love that lily, too cold at my pond to have tropical's without bringing them in for the winter. You have one beautiful setting, just beautiful.

Thanks addy
what you see is a product of your much appreciated help. BTW Koi love the bottom of my 4.5 deep pond in hot days. it gives them the temp they like.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks addy
what you see is a product of your much appreciated help. BTW Koi love the bottom of my 4.5 deep pond in hot days. it gives them the temp they like.

Glad I was able to help. My fish love the deep end when it is as hot as it is right now.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks mate for the nice words.
the first one is Beni Kumonryu as you said.
i have 2 shusui , the smaller one is much more attractive. i love it.
i have one hi utsuri and one shiro utsuri.i think one of the babies will be ki utsuri ( love that color )
and one small stunning kohaku.
i dont know why am not attracted to showas and sankes !

happy you liked my setting.

You got great taste! love the fish, the plant choices, and the settings. VERY NICE! I have been trying to find a Beni Kumonryu for well over a year now, Just haven't found that right one yet. I really like yours. I hope to find one similar to yours with a bit more white. I would say that is my favorite of all koi. I had one for about a year i loved. A great blue heron ate him and i have yet to find one that stood out like he did. my favorite fish i own is a Kumonryu and she is my big baby. loves to be petted and rubbed on the head. I wondered if your Shiro was Kumonryu or not. That's some nice markings. Are any of your fish directly from Japan? Some sure look like they could be for sure.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They had them there is pink too.

View attachment 45022

I have a pink one and a yellow one that were brought back from Hawaii about 5 years ago. The one is blooming now and the other one has lots of leaves and probably won't bloom until late summer at least that is what it did last year. I have to bring them inside for the winter, but they are cool plants and do smell great. When I got mine it was just a piece of branch that was cut off, you just stick it in potting soil and within several weeks you will start to get some growth. You can order them online too.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very nice that you have one and can bring them indoors for winter and then put them out again and they survive. I used to do all that kind of in and out stuff but now getting away from that since DH retired and wants to go. Maybe again someday when we won't be doing so much traveling.

Ask a Question