My test results.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is some good info (even though on a koi site it still pertains to goldfish or any other fish for that matter)

http://www.koihealth.info/nitrogen-cycle.html

While in the process of cycling/maturing your pond it's best not to clean the filter. You want to give the bacteria a chance to grow. The cloudy water is a normal part of the cycle. If left alone it will clear up on its own as things balance out.

Once the pond is mature you should have zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and 20-40 nitrate (although it could be much lower depending on stocking levels, feeding schedule, and how many live plants you have to use up the nitrate)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is my readings today
PH: 8.5
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0

Should i add some good bacteria and Prime?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Two small gold fish. It's been a little over 5 weeks now. The fish were added two weeks ago.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would go ahead and dose with prime so the ammonia isn't dangerous to your fish. You should continue to use it until you see ammonia at zero and then once you see nitrite and it goes back to zero you can stop dosing (the bottle says every 48 hours but I have always done every 24)

Keep using your test kit so you know when your cycled. Then you will be ready to add more fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Two small gold fish. It's been a little over 5 weeks now. The fish were added two weeks ago.

Wait a second... you asked on Friday if you could add fish. Now on Saturday you say you have two fish in the pond that were added two weeks ago. Did I miss something??

Reaction score
I'll say my last bit of peace and let it go. You are falling into the snake oil trap. Here's the thing, fish can't read and so they don't know they are not supposed to be able to live in the conditions that your test kit says they can live. Just add your fish and don't try to outguess what they can or can't survive in. You are going to end up paying more for snake oil and when your fish survive you'll be convinced that they lived because you added this or that. All you are doing is adding confounding and spurious variables that can't be proven or disproven. If your goldfish die then you've lost a few bucks. If they live then you have saved much more over the lifetime of your pond by realizing that you don't need all that stuff that is on the market today.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Believe what you want but anything recommend on this thread is on track with basic fish keeping.

Some people would like to learn about the hobby, not just do as they wish and hope for the best.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If your goldfish die then you've lost a few bucks.

And the fish lose their life. That seems like an unfair trade off.

And yes, fish die all the time. Sometimes it's our fault; sometimes it can't be helped. But we surely can use science to try our best.

I'm still curious about this pond - @420benz have you had two fish in the pond all this time that you've been asking about when you can add fish? I sure missed that fact somewhere along the way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So are you saying using using Prime ammonia will go down and nitrites will go up then eventually come back to zero.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So are you saying using using Prime ammonia will go down and nitrites will go up then eventually come back to zero.

Not exactly. The prime is going to protect the fish while the filter is maturing (making the water safe for the fish) and yes, ammonia will continue to rise then comes the nitrite and lastly nitrate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I really sucked in chemistry. So what should my readings be when
And the fish lose their life. That seems like an unfair trade off.

And yes, fish die all the time. Sometimes it's our fault; sometimes it can't be helped. But we surely can use science to try our best.

I'm still curious about this pond - @420benz have you had two fish in the pond all this time that you've been asking about when you can add fish? I sure missed that fact somewhere along the way.
Yes but they are small feeder fish 50 cents each. I haven't seen since. By adding fish i mean 3" gold fish and shubunkins.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I really sucked in chemistry. So what should my readings be when this pond is finally cycled.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
OK First test 6 days ago.
PH: 8.5
Nitrate: 0
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0

Second Test today after adding Prime.
PH-6.6
Ammonia-0