My Water Gardens in Summer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My first water garden, an oblong 40 gallon tub in mid June and again in late July.

40Tub_June2021.jpg
40Tub_July2021.jpg

This smaller round water garden is still a work in progress. In the center, there is an immature Nymphaea x 'Marliacea Rosea' planted in a basket. Everything else is just floating.

RoundTub_July2021.jpg

I also have an array of bog plants that I grow in individual containers and also another small water garden (not pictured). That one is planted with Sagittaria lancifolia, S. latifolia, and Thalia dealbata.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very nice! How many gallons is the smaller garden and where did you find the container? I have been looking for one that color.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had a some nice flowers on my aquatic plants this summer. Here are a few I've photographed.

Nymphoides_peltata_July2021.jpg

Floating Hearts or Water-fringe (Nymphoides peltata)

Pontederia_cordata_June2021.jpg

Pickerel Weed (Pontederia cordata)

Ludwigia_hexapetala_July2021.jpg

Water-primrose (Ludwigia hexapetala)

Hydrocleys_nymphoides_July2021.jpg

Water-poppy (Hydrocleys nymphoides)

Thalia_dealbata1_July2021.jpg

Thalia dealbata, at first with only bracts

Thalia_dealbata2_July2021.jpg

Thalia dealbata, later with the actual flowers

Sagittaria_lancifoliaFemale.jpg

Lance-leaved Arrowhead (Sagittaria lancifolia), the female flower open first, lower on the stem.

Sagittaria_lancifoliaMale_2021.jpg

Lance-leaved Arrowhead (Sagittaria lancifolia), later, the male flowers open higher up

Very nice! How many gallons is the smaller garden and where did you find the container? I have been looking for one that color.
It was originally a planter with a drainage hole. I used putty and sealant to block it up. I'd estimate it is about 25 gallons in size.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As you can probably tell, I'm mostly interested in just growing aquatic plants, rather than having a full-fledged pond. Actually, I would love a pond, but constraints on my time, space, energy, and money prevent that, so I do it this way without fish, pumps, filters, or most chemicals. I do lightly fertilize and every two weeks I add B.t.i. flakes to control mosquitoes. My garden is in summer-dry California
(Zone 9b, Zone 10A in recent years...).

Besides my water gardens I also grow many bog plants in containers kept in saucers of water. I will post some pics of these. Other bog gardeners may be interested in these plants for their bogs or pond margins. Some are sub-tropical and may only be frost hardy to Zones 8 or 9, but others are hardier to cold. Of course, cuttings could be over-wintered in a greenhouse or sunny window if necessary.

IMG_9340.JPG

Several of the large-leaved plants in this picture do great as bog plants. The white flowers are from Astilboides tabularis and behind that is the California & Oregon native Darmera peltata. Both are saxifrage relatives that like lots of water. In the upper right are the leaves of Ligularia stenocephala 'The Rocket'. It produces tall spikes of yellow daisies in Spring.

IMG_9639.JPG

I have been growing kahili ginger (Hedychium gardnerianum) as a bog plant , but I really don't need to. The variegated shell ginger (Alpinia zerumbet) and Alocasia x 'Portora' could probably also take bog conditions too, but as you can see they are not in saucers. Also, chameleon plant (Houttuynia cordata) peeking out in the background. Like many bog plants, it is more manageable in a container.

IMG_9702.JPG

Several water-loving bog plants in this shot. From upper left, an ornamental rhubarb (Rheum palmatum var. tanguticum), zebra bulrush (Schoenoplectus tabernaemontani 'Zebrinus'), marine arrow-rush (Triglochin maritima), wapato or arrowhead (Sagittaria latifolia), dwarf cat-tail (Typha minima), and white-leaved pitcher-plant (Sarracenia leucophylla). I water all these plants in summer with ordinary tap water, even the Sarracenia, which some say is fussy about water quality.

IMG_9725.JPG

Chilean false-rhubarb (Gunnera chilensis). These leaves are less than two feet wide. They can grow much bigger on a large plant in the ground. There is also another Gunnera sp. in the next shot.

IMG_9699.JPG

Here are two bog plants from southern Africa. They aren't hardy in cold winters, but they do grow fast. On the left is water-pumpkin (Gunnera perpensa) and on the right is is Wachendorfia thyrsiflora in the Bloodroot family, Haemodoraceae. It produces a tall racemes of yellow flowers, mostly in Spring.

IMG_9698.JPG

Ruellia simplex (syn: R. brittoniana). This particular plant isn't actually set in water but it certainly could be. This Ruellia is a great bog plant. There are also white and pink flowered forms.

IMG_9730.JPG

Many people wouldn't think of Asarum splendens as a bog plant, but I can assure you I've grown this by setting it in a shallow bowl of water for over ten years now.

IMG_9718.JPG

Of course, cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis) is a bog garden classic. This is a hybrid cultivar from Germany called 'Fan Scarlach'.

Attachments

• IMG_9387.JPG
    IMG_9387.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9414.JPG
    IMG_9414.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9574.JPG
    IMG_9574.JPG
    292.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9618.JPG
    IMG_9618.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9616.JPG
    IMG_9616.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9685.JPG
    IMG_9685.JPG
    343.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9703.JPG
    IMG_9703.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Country
Australia
My first water garden, an oblong 40 gallon tub in mid June and again in late July.

View attachment 141705View attachment 141706

This smaller round water garden is still a work in progress. In the center, there is an immature Nymphaea x 'Marliacea Rosea' planted in a basket. Everything else is just floating.

View attachment 141707

I also have an array of bog plants that I grow in individual containers and also another small water garden (not pictured). That one is planted with Sagittaria lancifolia, S. latifolia, and Thalia dealbata.
So nice

Ask a Question