Converting nursery pots into water gardens?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I am planning on trying to create intersubgeneric water lily hybrids next year and was going to start each seed in a 2 gallon bucket, but to really see if my creations are worth reproducing they will need to go in larger containers from the second year onward. Ten pots large enough to keep a water lily happy are expensive, so I'm trying to assess my options...

So far my best idea is to buy a bunch of nursery pots (maybe '10 gallon'? 16 inch diameter, 15 inch height...actually about 7 gallons in liquid volume) and then cover the drainage holes with flex seal or pond liner. Would this work properly? And if I went the pond liner route, how would I attach the pond liner to the nursery pot? Thanks :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Why don't you just buy pots made for lotuses? These cost between $10 and $15 and have no drain hole. They're extremely durable - we have one at the top of a small waterfall that we use as a planter for annuals every year - it's been there 8 years and is still in perfect condition.

0005489_botanica-lotus-container-20d-x-6h_350.jpeg

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Actually, that would be an excellent idea...I will look into those. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No problem! They come in a few different sizes. I have big ones in the pond with my lilies in them. They get heavy, but they are big enough that I only have to divide every other year.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That's a good idea. Have you started the project?
No...I got a couple discounted resin pots when they went on discount near the end of the summer. Thanks for your interest, though :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
dollar tree sells oil pan tubs ,that is what I use for my lilies

Ask a Question