My Winter Cover

Reaction score
great idea mine frooze over except the small hole wher my water goes back in i like the flat rock the water runs off mite add one of those to my pond i havent had frost here for a few weeks now so hopfully it stay that way
tony

Reaction score
How do gasses escape or is that not an issue?

I have left my pond open to the elements (although next year I am obtaining a net) it has frozen over except where my small floating heater is and where my waterfalls are. So far so good, but I like the idea of extending the season.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum jrladd, like those pics of your cold pond. We dont have temps like that here so luckily dont have to deal with those problems whew....good job.

Reaction score
Olee said:
How do gasses escape or is that not an issue?

I have left my pond open to the elements (although next year I am obtaining a net) it has frozen over except where my small floating heater is and where my waterfalls are. So far so good, but I like the idea of extending the season.

the gases just naturally get out when there is a small hole in the ice's surface. Oxygen is obviously important to these creatures, and if there is no hold there is a build up of CO2, which of course can kill your fish and most living creatures who depend on oxygen exchange.

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. As far as the gases escaping... If you are referring to how they escape the dome, I have a "access door" which I open every few days to check on things. I am not sure if gases building up inside is much of a concern, since I am pumping air into the dome, but if it is, I like to believe that I am helping to decrease the buildup of gas by opening it up every few days for a couple minutes.

We are getting hit hard with snow today. Just got in from snowblowing for the third time today. Expecting 4-6 more inches overnight. Hope the dome holds!!!

I'll post some more pics if i get a chance in the next week.

PS. It's a nice feeling when you drive past Lake Michigan and it is all frozen near the shore, and my little 800 gallon pond is at home ice free!!

Ask a Question