Need Design Ideas For Deep Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I am very happy to have stumbled upon these forums. I have a koi pond outside in my backyard, that isn’t crazy big. In fact, it is probably around average in the actual width of the pond. The pond is actually very big though. In most parts of it, the pond is at least 3 feet deep. There are a few exception areas like a small area about a foot deep and a couple areas a half a foot deep but a majority of the pond is very deep. I had limitations I was working with thus why it turned out like this. The pond has been running for a few years now, but I’ve always felt it was kindve bland. For example, the bottom of the pond is just the liner, nothing really else. I see all these other ponds with nice rocky bottoms and I have made an attempt at that but I feel it looks weird just because of how the pond just has such a drop off. I was wondering if you guys could maybe give me some design tips and ideas for it. I would post pictures but I don’t really feel it is needed and at the time of me posting this I am not at home. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know... this feels like another trollish post. Sorry to be harsh if you're for real, but your post reads odd. Your pond isn't big, but it's actually very big. Then you talk about it being very deep, but it's only 3 feet deep which is pretty standard. You want help with design ideas but don't feel we need pictures... maybe try again?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know... this feels like another trollish post. Sorry to be harsh if you're for real, but your post reads odd. Your pond isn't big, but it's actually very big. Then you talk about it being very deep, but it's only 3 feet deep which is pretty standard. You want help with design ideas but don't feel we need pictures... maybe try again?
I stared to comment same, in fact, about the same points.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In my city ponds are not allowed to be deeper then 2 feet unless you get a special permit. By the pond being big I meant like it holds a lot of gallons but it doesn’t look big. Most ponds have that shallow area where the fish come right up but mine are swimming over a huge deep drop off. I didn’t post pictures because I wasn’t home but I am eager for answers. I was just looking for some advice on how to place rocks in a really vertically inclined steep drop off pond. I don’t know how to explain it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't put rocks inside my pond on the bottom as for me I feel it is too hard to keep clean of muck. I like to be able to take a net and easily scoop out the yuck if needed. Some here do have rocks on the bottom so maybe they will chime in and let you know how to do it and care for it all. Can't see the bottom very well anyways as it gets covered w/green and so would the rocks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @JakeSnake358 :) Are you trying to say that the sides of your pond are too steep but you'd like to cover them with rocks? I can see how that would be tricky. Seeing photos of your pond would definitely help. Maybe you could create some interest with plants instead of rocks?

Ask a Question