Need Help with Design Flaw

Reaction score
I ran into a few problems because I didn't plan well. I just jumped into it without researching which was my fault. Anyways I didn't foresee a lot of problems but solved most of them as I went along. What made this design hard was that it's in an uneven elevated area.

I do want to put a couple Koi's in there. I have a bottom drain going to an oase biotec filter with UV, skimmer/waterfall with UV, and and in-pond filter/fountain with UV. I still need more rocks but the design was supposed to be like a volcano since I live in Hawaii.

The problem is the back shelf for the rocks. it's showing too much liner because I didn't want to dig deeper because the retaining wall doesn't go any further down. Do you think it would be safe to dig deeper?

I thought about building the front wall one higher and then raising the skimmer but it would make it hard to see inside the pond. I also thought about putting downward covering plants such as ferns or just fill the pond with rocks however I heard that it makes the pond hard to clean.

Any other ideas?

The back has about 10" of liner showing. the front has a couple inches for the waterline.
img0189jn.jpg

By blkdrgnphotos, shot with iPhone 3GS at 2009-09-15

img0191be.jpg

img0196f.jpg

Reaction score
OK, I can post the pictures now. Any ideas on how to solve the liner problem? I was also thinking about a mini shelf to put small rocks at water level and then put the big rocks on the top. The shelf is only about 8 inches width.

Reaction score
Looks nice, I love the theme!
I had one side of my pond lower then the other. I put down some 2x4's and covered them with carpet. It raised that edge about 4 inches which worked very well.
It might work for you.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Do you have enough liner left in the front ??? To lift it up, and build it up with morter to get it to the same level as the back wall ...the skimmer will have to come up too.......

Reaction score
Hmmm....what a dilemma. I'd had to have you take the whole thing apart...

Is it possible to find larger rocks in the shape of an L and then overhang them over the edge so that they cover the liner? That way it's more about reassembling rocks rather than taking things apart?

There is a company that sells very good looking fake rock on a roll for ponds, but I just don't know if they will have anything that fits your lava rock theme.

Even if your top row of rocks were round much larger so that they would stick out over the liner, I think that would disguise it quite a bit. You could maybe glue them to the wall a bit if you had a worry about them falling in and use the black pond sealing foam to get 'em good and tight.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i gotta agree with the ideas of raising the low side to match the high side. its better to increase water volume than to do anything to lower it.

Reaction score
Looks great in the night time photo ! Thats a neat idea.
I have read where some people use plastic crates in the pond to elevate plant pots...maybe you could do the same to build up the stone to hide the rubber? They say they are good for fish to shade under too. Good luck and let us know how you do it. :banana:

Reaction score
I like the l shaped rock idea. I would take an angle grinder with a masonry blade and try cutting the rocks to hang over. Seeing how the lava rocks are light and porous it shouldn't be that hard. You could probably do it with a pointed hammer that they use for stone work.
BTW the volcano looks great.

Reaction score
The problem is the back shelf for the rocks. it's showing too much liner because I didn't want to dig deeper because the retaining wall doesn't go any further down. Do you think it would be safe to dig deeper?

Maybe I am reading this wrong but are you saying that you dug down to the base/bottom of the retaining wall?

Can we see a few more pictures of the retaining wall and its height? Along how much of the retaining wall edge did you dig down to the base?

How much force is being exserted on the other side of the wall?

Your first and primary concern should be the retaining wall itself and making sure you did not weeken its integrity......I would hate to see it fall on you or your koi...........

Ask a Question